Shall I take the plunge or not?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
    (My shed was good if I needed a quick wee in a bucket)
    Thats why a compost heap with a screen comes in handy!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

i've got 3 or 4 of these on my plot which I use for reaching the top of the runner beans, sitting on to harvest currents or weed the raised beds & sitting to enjoy the view & have a cuppa, they are only £3 or £4 they stop out all year round, tip buy brightly coloured ones so you can find them, ive got a green one which i can never find until i trip over it, but the bright pink & yellow ones stand out
      Attached Files
      The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Is there a time limit?, up here you get 7 days then you go back to the bottom of the list. It's not just tools you keep in a shed there's fertilizer, compost, watering cans, hoses,etc, etc. You must be pretty desparate to consider this, so you musn't have much choice in your area.As others have said you must get down there hopefully to speak to the other gardeners and see how closely they stick to the rules. Have you looked on the land share website inspired by Hugh Fearnley whats his face?. At the end of the day it's better to have grown and lost than never to have grown at all. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
          Thats why a compost heap with a screen comes in handy!
          Not sure I'd fancy that if I could only have a compost bin in the communal area

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Once again everyone. Thanks very much for all your tips which have given me a lot to think about. I really appreciate it.

Someone suggested I let you know the veg we eat to see if they are suitable for a beginner to grow. We eat peppers; green beans; sugar snap peas or mange tout for stir fry; carrots: pots; onions; broccoli; tomatoes; lettuce; cucumber; spring onions; radishes; celery; pak choi; leeks; brussel sprouts; straws, rasps; blueberries. Sorry list is long but we are veggie.

I can't believe how helpful you all are. Thank you all so much.
            Mary-Anne

Comment

Tools needed,hoe fork and spade

The water could be intresting,how many stand pipes or is it only one, are hoses allowed

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                Not sure I'd fancy that if I could only have a compost bin in the communal area
                If it was good enough for the Romans..........

It would certainly break the ice with the neighbours as well!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Mary-Anne View Post
                  Someone suggested I let you know the veg we eat to see if they are suitable for a beginner to grow.
                  Greenhouse: peppers; tomatoes, cucumber

Easy: green beans; sugar snap peas or mange tout; pots, onions, lettuce; spring onions; radishes;straws, rasps; blueberries

Challenging: carrots, broccoli, leeks; brussel sprouts (mostly because of pests. You can't grow them without cover of some kind, eg. fleece, nets).

pak choi because slugs eat it & most people try & grow it in summer - it's a cool weather crop.
                  celery (always ends up tough & stringy, though I think Zazen has cracked it)

Where are your pumpkins? they are easy (but not butternut if you're further north than me)
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                    For the record, I disagree with Snadger about sheds etc being just a frill. Mine is my lovely peacefull haven when I can sort things and relax, shelter from the worst of the weather and get shade from the sun. It also enables me to harvest loads of water to irrigate the plot as a whole.
                    And its somewhere to wee in a bucket !
                    You have to loose sight of the shore sometimes to cross new oceans

I would be a perfectionist, but I dont have the time

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X