Potting bench preserver

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potting bench preserver

I've got a lovely new potting bench, which I plan to build pretty soon.Trouble is, its going to have to live outside, shed is full of bikes, lawnmowers and tools.

What do you reckon is the best way of preserving the wood? It's probably made of softwood - its certainly not anything fancy like teak or oak. Should I use a Creosote sub, teak oil, varnish? What ever I use, I don't mind having to reapply it every year.

Thanks

J

Hi Jimmer,
    I'd be tempted to use one of the water based wood preservatives that all the DIY places stock.
    The Creosote Sub stuff is very good, but it still smells to high heaven for ages and is really best on fences. Varnish tends to crackle and flake in the sun which means rubbing down before re-coating.
    I would also pay particular attention to the bottoms of the legs of the bench. If you can, pour a couple of inches of your chosen preserver into four small containers and stick a leg in each (The bench legs - not yours!). leave them to soak for a few hours so that the stuff really penetrates the wood. Happy potting!
    Teez
    When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

do that ^

and can you also cover it up during the worst of the winter rains? Lift the feet off the soil?
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

This sounds like sound advice - and its exactly what I'll do...

I'll stick it on some paving slabs to try and keep the feet dryish.

Thanks for your help...

J

Comment

Vast quantities of linseed oil, or other wood treating oils like teak oil if you can afford it. Don't use mineral oils or engine oil as these rot wood
          You could make a cover, even if it's just a plastic sheet, to keep the weather off, but don't leave it on permanently as it could hold the dampness in

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X