Advice and experiance would be of great help to a newbie

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

companion growing

One way of picking a way through the two extreme options (regimented beds for veg groups vs mixing things up) is companion growing. This sounds very complex, but isn't! The idea is that if you locate two diferent crops next to each other they will help each other out.

One example often quoted is onions (and shallots/garlic) next to carrots, as the smell of each puts off carrot and onion fly.
    Native american indians grow sweetcorn, squashes and beans together, with the idea that the sweetcorn makes best use of the height it gains, beans grow up the sweetcorn, and squashes provide ground cover. The three benefit each other in another way - legumes fix nitrogen into the soil, and squashes need a lot of nutrients, so the idea is that it is a compact way to grow without exhausting your soil.

Marigolds also disguise the smell of carrots, so if you want to get some easy flowers in to the area that is a great way.

Overall don't be too serious in your first year. I was a newbie a year ago, put crops in when I cleared a patch, and ended up with cucumbers and cabbages next to tomatoes, spouts and french beans! Nature has a funny way of working itself out. The main problem I have now is remembering what went where. I suggest you draw a plan of your plot for reference in future years!

Comment

I think a plan is essential ,after putting my 16 raised beds in last year I drew out a plan and numbered the beds (in an attractive pink recycled nail varnish)then took 30 photocopies of the plan,I now know what was where last year and have a plan for where things are supposed to go this year,as well as a plan showing where things actually are and later which beds I treated with lime nemasys etc.
      I dont do this just cos I like drawing and planning (I dont)it just helps with remembering,there are always a couple of these plans pinned to the inside of the shed door with a pencil on a string.
      I like pencil as it don't fade can be rubbed out and is unaffected by wet.
      don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
      remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Morning,
        Claire i have been researching the three sisters as i would think this would look really good but how much space would you need could you use the 1.2m x 3m bed or would you need more space?, also i was wondering can you mix climbing french beans with runner beans for a different effect?, the weather up in manchester has been lovely the past 3 days lots of sunshine but still cold, took delivery of 3 tonnes of good quality organic top soil going to put it on the beds tuesday when i'm next in work can i just spread it on top or does it need to be mixed in with the other soil?

Comment

I have three friends who have tried this method. Only one is trying again. I think the planting times are important to get just right, as well as the ground preparation. One of the senior members at the allotment says the only time he saw it really work was the very very hot summer where we hit 100C. Some people seem to have done OK with a twosome but the three sisters is possibly more suited to the American climatic zone where it was developed. Others will now disagree, but I'd use the effort on other things.
          History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X