Moles!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moles!!!

Discovered this week we have a sudden invasion of moles on our allotment site .... molehills all over the plots, mainly mine at present but spread ing fast ..... does anyone know how we should be dealing with this?

My mum puts those beach-windmill things in the ground where they dig up in her garden. Apparently they don't like the vibrations.

The other thing she does is uses a mole-trap, but they're infinately less humane. Very similar to a mousetrap.

Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
    Snadger - Director of Poetry
    RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
    Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
    Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
    piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Trapping is the best idea. The soil in your plot must be quite fertile as the moles burrow for the worms which must be in abundance. There are chemical methods of control you could consider also.
      here's some info:-

Mole Pest Control effectively, humanely and cheap
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

My neighbour says ***** liquids in the burrow then cover. His lawn is mole free mine isn't (yet...)

Comment

Thank you all for mole-busing tips given so far. Am off to buy beach-windmills - lucky we live near the beach! - and ***** fluid. Not so sure about the traps though .... and yes, the soil is good and fertile, lots of manure & compost in last 12 months .... and I am guessing it is because the recent cold weather that we suddenly have this problem, whereas we didn't before: cold and hungry moles venturing to pastures new in search of abundant wormy lunch....

Comment

pS ... but would ***** fluid be safe to use on a vegetable plot ....?

Comment

I think it would be ok but you could think of something else if you're worried - it's the strong smell they don't like so anything that stinks should work!
              Euphorbias planted in the garden are also supposed to deter moles - again cos they smell strongly.

Comment

Oooh dear, I have been plagued by moles for the last 12 months and have tried mothballs, paraffin rags, allium moly bulbs, vibrating wotsits and chasing the rising soil with a cane (not a chance believe me - them beggars are fast!) I have resorted to traps against my better judgement, but I've only caught 2 out of what must be 102, they are very slippery creatures and I have to call my Dad to do the dirty, I can't bear it - I spent last season constantly firming the soil under and around my plants back into place - sorry no consulation, but as Snadger says, rejoice in the healthy worm population creating a wonderful soil - I think they call it Yin and Yang or sommat!
                'May your cattle never wander and your crops never fail'

Comment

Thank you again everyone - keep the advice coming! Just had a look on the link given above by Snadger, and think I am going to go for the sonic vibration thingy - at just a few pence change from £25 it is not cheap, but I really cannot bring myslef to go down the trap route - although , bearing in mind the Windmills suggested by OllieMartin work on the same principle, I think I will give these a go first - much cheaper and even if they don't work they will certainly go down well with my frien'ds 3-year old next time they come to visit for a bit of seaside fun!!!

Comment

I have posted this several times before on here when grapes are having trouble with moles. Here's what we do at snuffer cottage. Unfortunately you will need to own or have friends that own a cat.

Dig down under the mole hill until you find the tunnel. Take the contents of the cat litter tray (yes I do meen cat feaces) and put it into the tunnel. Then fill hole again.

This doesn't harm the moles and isn't a permanent solution but does work.

I asume they think a predator is nearby and so move off to find a safer home. I admit it's not great fun having to bury cat pooh in the tunnels but it does seem to work.
                    It is the doom of man, that they forget.

Comment

i think I've read that a bay leaf down the hole is supposed to deter them.

Comment

haha - fabulous tips - thank you! I have three cats and a bay tree at home, so will give both a go ........

Comment

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

In the mean time, did you know that mole hills make brilliant potting compost? A small consolation.

Comment

I saw an old boy stick a bamboo cane in mole hills that were sprouting in his sheep paddock, to my surprise when I walked that way a week or so later there wasn't any signs of mole hills at all, I have also heard sticking an empty wine bottle in the mound deters them as they dont like the noise made when a breeze blows across the top of the bottle. Some of the local farmers use "mole explosives" that scare the c*ap out of you as you walk across a field and a small explosive goes off (sounds like a firecracker and well away from the path).
                            Last edited by TEB; 01-02-2010, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BFG View Post
                              Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

In the mean time, did you know that mole hills make brilliant potting compost? A small consolation.
                              ... well, been back for the first time in a couple of weeks - several new molehills on my plot and none at all on the one next to it, where they have - wait for it - one of those big round-face bird-scarers on a pole stuck into the ground ... thinking this might be why the moles have not ventured that extra few feet along, because this bird scarer must work in the same way as the 'beach windmills' suggested a few weeks back: the movement of the ball rotating in the wind sending a vibration down thorugh the pole into the ground .... SO I am off to scour the beach-shops for windmills forst thing tommorrow - or maybe bodge together a few homemade efforts perhaps? Also going to try the cat poo, and the cane-down-the-hole trick AND the empty bottles - will report back on progress, as and when .....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X