Moving Globe Artichoke

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Globe Artichoke

I have been offered a 15 - 20 year old Globe Artichoke which I have to go and dig up - does anyone have any advice?

How deep are the roots likely to be? Will it survive being dug up and moved? How should I prepare the ground?

I don't have the option of waiting until the weather is warmer as the garden it is in will shortly be bulldozed to make way for a new house.

Being far from an expert on perenials, but I did have part of a plant from a neighbour which is now happy on my plot. He just whizzed down with a spade to split a chunk off, including some roots & put it in a bucket & I planted it.

You might be better doing that than trying to move the whole plant?

Comment

20 years!...the rootball will be massive. As Hazel says: In Spring chop resprouts round the side off with saw/breadknife much root as you can manage and plant /pot up those keeping them first in the shade and well watered till they stop sulking. You shouldn't let them go to seed especially in the first year ...let them establish and for high yields repeat process every four years.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X