No announcement yet.

Tools?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try also pound stretcher, the quality may not be the best,( the tines on my fork are all wonky but only after about 6 months tackling a plot that hadn't been cultivated in years) but they're ridiculously cheap - about £3.99 - and will get you started.

Also check out Aldi and Lidl if you have one near, but don't make a special trip as they only do garden stuff now and again and when they're gone, they're gone - check online to see what the current offers are. I got an excellent spade in Aldi last year although OH had to cut it down for me as the handle was way too long (and I'm 5' 7").

Comment

I get most of my garden tools from a Grott Shop or at least that's what I call it . Basically it's the shop belonging to someone who does house clearances, she now knows to save any garden tools she comes across for me to have first refusal on. I have some lovely old garden forks, spades, rakes, hoes etc from a time when tools where still stamped "Made In England" and still built to last, most of them have cost me at the most £1.50.

Might be worth your while giving your local second hand/houseclearance shop a try.
      It was dark. And cold. And very, very empty.

And in the middle of all of the dark, cold, emptiness lay something darker, and colder, but very, very full.

Comment

I got a few of my garden tools from ebay, it saves on the hunting around and you can get some great deals. My most used tools are my garden fork, my rake, my hoe, and my hand trowel (for putting in small plants). I got a garden mole the other year as they are supposed to be easier on the spine but I dont use it as often as I used to. I also made some of my own tools like my dibber (an old wooden handle from a garden spade) , my weeder (a blunt old kitchen knife with its end bent over) and a few others. You can get a range of tools (mine from ebay) that all fit on to one handle that fit into a sort of blown plastic case, mine has a small spade, a small rake, a small saw and a pair of secateurs and some side cutters and a couple of other things in it, these are great if you cannt leave your tools safely overnight.

Comment

Get a fork with wide blades from Fiskars. Not the cheapest but you'll use it for the rest of your life. Don't see what else you really need.

Comment

Originally posted by *Lavender* View Post
            Failing that, I'm off to B&Q to look at their forks and hoes!
            Be careful how, and who you say that to.
            A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Wasn't 'grot' Reggie Perrin's shop for useless stuff?....a 'house clearance' shop?....

Whilst I agree that many of my best tools are very old. I always make sure of their provenance.....plus locals know I enjoy collecting and renovating old tools. The trouble with car boots etc etc is quite often you are supporting and perpetuating those who might empty out your shed uninvited. (is that where the expression 'fence' comes from?). It is heart breaking to have your well loved tools stolen. Just please make sure you are not becoming part of it.

To me, a good tool is just a joy to use and, if looked after lasts for years, I have a couple of original handled forks that the tines have been worn to needles (and a five pronger that was then forged into a dung rake.)

A cheap fork may last a year. Is crap to use....but it doesn't matter if it gets pinched.

Wilkinson make good tools and have a lifetime / ten year guarantee. A challenge in my book!

You will need a fork and rake to start with, a spade, a hoe and a few hand tools soon after that...and then some more hand tools, a barrow, a mattock, a saw, a bigger rake, an onion hoe, a dutch hoe, a swoe, a swan-neck hoe, a scythe, a sickle, a pitchfork, a potato fork, a dung fork, a border fork,loppers, hedgetrimmers, edgetrimmers, a turf cutter, an asparargus knife....a,...a,... a greenhouse, a shed, a rotavator, a cultivator, a mower,a chainsaw............a,....a....a.a,...another greenhouse.....a,a,a....another allotment.........a,a,a,a...another bigger shed....a,a,a,a,a,a,a,....world vagetable domination......a,a,a,a,a,a,a,a,a,aaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!...more an addiction now really!

Comment

Like many, I have gathered tools as and when I needed them over a number of years.
                When I bought my first house I had to get some tools for the garden. I cicn't have much money but obtained a border fork and spade for £10 for the two from Argos!. This was over 13 years ago and I still use them now. That can't be bad value for for money can it?!?
                Wherever you decide to go for your basics, you can always save up for the special stuff later.
                www.isitraining.wordpress.com

There are two types of people - those that understand compound interest and those that pay it.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
                  Wilkinson make good tools and have a lifetime / ten year guarantee. A challenge in my book!
                  I too support the use of Wilkinson tools (now called Fiskars, same stuff though). They are designed ergonomically, very efficient and last a long time, not to mention the guatantee.

Azada, Bahco, Felco, Bulldog also ok. If it cuts, buy Japanese.

Comment

One word....wilkos. Job done !
                    You have to loose sight of the shore sometimes to cross new oceans

I would be a perfectionist, but I dont have the time

Comment

House clearance shops are fantastic for lotties.

My tools came from my mothers garage when she moved to a flat but did not last that long.

'Someone' offered to get the bend out my very old digging fork and snapped a tine [rats!]. I got a replacement for £1.00 from the house clearance man, as well as a 'new' border spade, long handled trowel, weed tool etc - all for £1 each. Much better quality old tools with years of use already. I even got one of those padded kneelers/seats, and have an order in for a barrow.

I'm a fan.
                      Last edited by Storming Norman; 22-02-2010, 07:45 PM.

Comment

I treated OH to an Azada and a right angled fork, and he loves them. The right angled fork is brill for getting up brambles - and we have a LOT of those! I'm thinking I might get a light weight Azada for myself as the one I got OH is just a bit on the heavy side for me.

Comment

Azada?...that's a posh mattock isn't it?

a right angled fork?....for getting round corners?...or you mean a dung rake?

Comment

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
                            Azada?...that's a posh mattock isn't it?

a right angled fork?....for getting round corners?...or you mean a dung rake?
                            You've got no romance in your soul Paul!
                            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

That's not true..... I could shop at Wilkos.

But as they say: call a spade 'a spade.'

There was an element of seriousness to my post.....I have several long pronged rakes...some converted forks and a couple were made for the purpose.....They are genuinely known as dung rakes round here. I've never seen a new one for sale....is that what Maggie meant and is there another name for them.
                              Last edited by Paulottie; 24-02-2010, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X