Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garden Fleece

Hi

I have just bought some garden fleece to protect my broad beans from the frost we are expecting, I was wondering should I also protect any of the following I have:- Leeks, Garlic, Brocolli, Spring cabbage, Wintering Onions and Strawberries.

As I am going to be doing a night visit to the allotment tonight I thought I might aswell make sure I know all the veg I should be covering.

Loz
    http://warmanallotment.blogspot.com/

I wouldn't bother., although if your leeks are already a bit slimy, then it might be worth covering them too.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hi L9 - we had bad frosts in November - was so "het up" sorting out the greenhouse didn't cover my christmas tatties! Lesson learned there - no tatties for Christmas because the frost killed 'em. Not sure, but I'd cover everything - just to be sure, to be sure! DDL
      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Leeks etc should be fine L9. The Garlic need to get cold to help it to seperate into cloves, strawbs need a dose of cold aswell (unless they are in flower) the Onions & Spring cabbage by it's nature is hardy (unless it gets to -40!!) and your broad beans if they are an Autumn one will be OK as well. Mine are in an open topped "coldframe" but thats just to stop the wind flattening them & they are fine.
        ntg
        Never be afraid to try something new.
        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
        ==================================================

Comment

Expecting frost tonight Nick. Will my shallots be OK. Just planted them today.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I would have thought so Alice as they won't be growing yet
            ntg
            Never be afraid to try something new.
            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
            ==================================================

Comment

Jings ! I thought they would be fully hardy like the garlic. When they start to grow will I have to protect them from frost. Jings, what have I been doing

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Oh flaming ada,
                I thought shallots were like overwintering onions and wouldn't need covering, can I say goodbye to my shallots? they were looking so good too!
                And I left the onions uncovered, but they are looking very patchy, unlike the shallots which are all growing steadily, is this due to all the rain do you think?
                I shall need snorkelling lessons soon to visit my allotment
                Sue

Comment

just been down the allotment had just covered the broad beans - in the last bit of frost we has they went a bit black.

Glad to see we wasnt the only mad person there, someone turned up to fix his greenhouse

Comment

I can't mend my greenhouse as the glassman had run out of 2foot square pieces when I went today, I wonder why!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    May all our seeds germinate and grow

Helen

Comment

I also went to wickes at the weekend - they are doing well on new Fence Panels.

LW

Comment

Hope mine is still in situ

When I went down t'other day I covered my broad beans as a few were in flower. I also covered the blueberry and cranberry plants I had recently transplanted and left it at that. Leeks, brassicas, garlic and onions all uncovered. Too bad now if I got it wrong.
                        Bright Blessings
                        Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Originally posted by Helenclare View Post
                          I can't mend my greenhouse as the glassman had run out of 2foot square pieces when I went today, I wonder why!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          I know it sounds like teaching granny to suck eggs
                          But why not try polycarbonate.
                          B&Q have it (easy to cut)in largish sheets.
                          The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                          Brian Clough

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X