Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had better build a 20' shed then

Comment

Snadger I assume it is the way to grow long, straight show quality carrots.
      [

Comment

Originally posted by Lesley Jay View Post
        Snadger I assume it is the way to grow long, straight show quality carrots.
        As the wise indian said.............HOW???
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

How??

Bung the compost in the drain pipe, put the seed on the top and water.
          [

Comment

You must have some b****y deep drainpipes!

Or is that it - they stand upright ?????? Surely you're not aiming for 6' carrots?
            ~
            Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Jennie they are giant show carrots. The longer, the better. They do have a long tap root.
              [

Comment

Who the hecks got a 20'0" pan to cook em???
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

well said Snadger! The idea is to fasten the end of the pipe at the top of the fence panel, then put the other end in the soil so you have a diagonal piece of pipe along the fence panel the rest is as described above! Got OH trying to take a photo of the book! LOL DDL
                  Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                    As the wise indian said.............HOW???
                    DDL is talking about a whole vertical drainpipe, unless my marbles are on the floor?

Originally posted by JennieAtkinson View Post
                    (cough) .... Sorry folks ..... Back to the drainpipes .... how do you stop the compost running out the ends when you water it before any root systems appear? I tried it a couple of years ago with some short lengths, but couldn't keep anything in the edges.
                    (cough cough) ... I went to a great veg growing course at Barnsdale Gardens in November. They always start peas in guttering (half-drainpipe?) to prevent them being et by bunnies. The flat-bottomed guttering (1m long) goes on the greenhouse staging. A slate or short wood offcut is placed at each open gutter ends. They are held propped flush against the gutter ends with a handy potted plant so that the compost doesn't fall out of the ends. The guttering is filled with compost and peas, and the 'ends' removed at planting-out time. We all swooned and cursed - why didn't we think of that!
                    Last edited by supersprout; 27-01-2007, 08:04 PM.
                    SSx
                    not every situation requires a big onion

Comment

Been having a think about this guttering lark and have decided that it would solve my strawberry runner problem. This year, I'm going to fill a couple of 6' lengths of guttering with soil and put them either side of the strawberry bed, and 'pot up' the strawberry runners into them. Come the end of the year, I should have some nicely rooted runners, in two neat lines to slide into the new strawberry bed. Lots of small pots just aren't an option for me, what with kids, dogs, bad back, high winds, etc...

Reckon it'll work?
                      Kris

I child-proofed my house, but they still manage to get in.

Muddy Musings - a blog

Comment

Sounds like a wizard wheeze Poledragon!

Last edited by supersprout; 27-01-2007, 08:06 PM.
                        SSx
                        not every situation requires a big onion

Comment

Methinks you've got it PD! Trying to sort out a photo at the moment! I may be some time............DDL
                          Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
                            well said Snadger! The idea is to fasten the end of the pipe at the top of the fence panel, then put the other end in the soil so you have a diagonal piece of pipe along the fence panel the rest is as described above! Got OH trying to take a photo of the book! LOL DDL
                            Come to think of it, I would imgine once the sun gets on the pipe it will get that hot you won't need a pan.....the carrots will come out ready cooked!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X