Uses for redundant strawberry tower

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uses for redundant strawberry tower

Hi everyone - I can't really find where's best to put this question, but as I want this to be a fixture at my allotment I've put it here

I have one of those strawberry towers - the ones with little half cups in about 26 holes around the tower, open at the top with a watering tube down the middle. Well, i've never had much success with strawberries in it - they seem to die over the winter. It's had 2 chances now, so it's got to go!

Thing is, I'd like to put it up at the lottie and put it to good use. I can't afford to replace the soil in it - it's currently filled with 2/3rds multi-purpose and 1/3 grit, so can't see it being used for veg. I like to have a variety of plants and flowers too and was thinking of making it into a kind of alpine feature - then hopefully it will look after itself.

Any other ideas grapes?

I was wondering about herbs, they don't mind impoverished soil and drier conditions...would that work for you?

Comment

I tried one once with herbs but if it's terracotta (cannot abide the stuff) it dries out before you can turn round. In the end I placed it the pond as a water feature.

Comment

hmmm...okay...I'm still thinking...
        What about iceplants or sedums? The flowers on the sedums would attract beneficial insects, and they grow in cracks in the wall with no soil at all...and in France, iceplants grow on rooves!
        Last edited by Pumpkin Becki; 27-03-2010, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Some of the alpines may work - I'm thinking of lewisias which grow in walls - they may prefer the shade though, but there would be other alpines for a sunny side of the pot.
          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I have one of these, and also no luck with the strawberries, so I took off the cups, lined it with a old compost bag and I'm growing parsnips in it If you have a whole allotment that might not be such a tempting idea though.

Comment

How about some cherry toms.
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I have a variety of Thyme plants in my terracotta strawbwrry tub and they've all survived the winter and are showing signs of new growth.
                When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X