Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mantis cultivators

Hi
    I am considering purchasing a mantis cultivator to assist me on my allotments (sandy loam) and wondered if any other members have any reviews of them that they could share.
    Other than this do you have any other recommendations for other portable or comparatively lightweight models of cultivators (approx £200 - 300 price tag)
    Cheers

I have a mantis and a 5hp Briggs and Stratton. The big one is miles and miles better. It cuts deeper, cuts better and gets clogged less.

However I am on Clay....I could make bricks if I wanted (actually there is an old brick works about 1/2 mile away).

The mantis good points is that is it light....and is easy to start. I would strongle recommend buying the 4stroke and not the 2strole and dont even look at the elect one.

Its bad point is it is too flimsy it looks like it was made out of the scrap of an old boys shed.

If you want a small rotovator look at the hondas or the Al-Ko ( ALKO ) MH370-4 they seem better made.
    My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

The guy on the next plot has a mantis, I am not that impressed with it very noisy and not a lot of guts to it IMO it is like a mechanical hoe and unless the soil conditions are right you could go quicker with a fork, try to find someone who has a mantis and get a demo.
      Myself I use a AL-KO garten hobby cultivator although not as powerful as a rotorvator does me well on sandy soil

Comment

Old boy (80) next to me uses a mantis and provided you use it as directed, moving backwards it seems to work fine.
        Usual 2-stroke caveats here, get the mix right and its fine, a bit out and you arm will drop off before it starts.
        Other caveat is wear safety glasses the rotors go so fast the can flick stuff a long way.

I however use both a Merry Tiller AND Howard 350 on my two plots, and I'm getting all the bits to use a plough off my Howard.
        Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
        Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
        I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

Hi,

I bought a mantis last year and think its great! There is no way I could manage a "full size" one. I don't tihnk its designed for use of completely uncultivated land, more of a garden tiller but thats what I wanted. But it does a good job of turning over my existing beds and chopping the soil up fine ready for planting.

I had a bit of a problem when I first bought it, there was a problem with the cable for starting it up and I had to send the cable back twice for replacement.

If I can start it up and use it then anyone can!

Clareg

Comment

Hardly anyone uses rotavators up here. A newbie did and everyone laughed at him, because he rotavated all his perennial weeds - chopping up his bindweed, thistles, couch etc. Methinks he'll have some weeding to do this year when all those cuttings take
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

If You really want a rotivator forget the little mantis i've got a 1960 merry tiller making it 37 years old and still going strong you wont beat a merry tiller for allotment work
              they are really well made machines

Comment

We have a big old rotovator that my OH uses on our plots, but we are on clay soil that sets like a brick after some rain, so before I plant the area is turned over with the small mantis. I think it is a great little machine.
                [

Comment

not need to calle Mr J a big old rotovator
                  ntg
                  Never be afraid to try something new.
                  Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                  A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                  ==================================================

Comment

Hi Suem, I winter dig and manure at the end of the growing season then use my Mantis in the spring to knock down the clods into a fine tilth. I also use it to draw out 6" deep trenches at potatoe planting tme.

Tony

Comment

Mantis Cultivators

Well I have had a two stroke Mantis for over 10 years on my clay ridden allotment and generally it has done all I needed it to do. It doesn't dig more than a foot deep but then when do you really need to dig that deep!! On my plot if you dig too deep you end up with hard compacted red till.
                      George the Pigman

Comment

I was told its no better than a chicken on a stick
                        Anthony

Comment

depends how big the chicken is
                          ntg
                          Never be afraid to try something new.
                          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                          ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X