Advice for AL....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mogs View Post
    If the allotment people haven't received a signature of delivery, surely she can claim mitigating circumstances and appeal, due to not being officially informed though receipt of an invoice?? I'm no legal eagle but would be worth contesting it, especially if it's a Council owned site as they lurve the dotted I's and crossed T's if it's their way.
    Good idea.

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
    Surely she will have been to the allotment since March though? In which case someone would have reminded her?
    She has and has planted things too but nobody said a word.

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
    Take the cash to the council and get a receipt for the rent.

I'm being very good with my language....flippin people.
    That's a really good idea zaz will pass it on.

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
    Get her local councillor involved immediately - they can work miracles behind the scenes.
    Another great idea.

Thank you all for your input I wil pass it all on to her.
    She has been given till the 13th June to vacate her plot which means she will lose all her crops. OH reckons someone on the committee may have a pal wanting a plot so they're looking for reasons to evict folk. There is apparently a 4 year waiting list and no other sites nearby so maybe he's right. It really seems mean and petty though whatever their reasons.

Comment

get local newspaper on board & explain her circumstances that should do something
      The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Surely she will have been to the allotment since March though? In which case someone would have reminded her?
        To be fair I don't think I've ever had a converstation with anybody on our plot about rent so have no idea if anybody has paid or not.

What state is her plot in and are there any that are a right state where somebody isn't been evicted?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
          To be fair I don't think I've ever had a converstation with anybody on our plot about rent so have no idea if anybody has paid or not.

What state is her plot in and are there any that are a right state where somebody isn't been evicted?
          You miss my point Alison. At our site everyone is informed when the AGM is and at the same time when the rent is due. (probably the same all over?) If she hasn't been given this information, she has a case.

If someone hadn't paid their rent and was working at our allotments, in all probability the Treasurer or one of the committee would pay them a visit and give them a verbal reminder!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I'd ask the council to provide proof of delivery of the reminders... I think you can ask under the freedom of information act if they won't. You'd need to check what the actual contract says - if it says they'll send reminders then that's part of the contract but if it doesn't then it's just a courtesy and they wouldn't be obligated.

Comment

if no one else can help, and if you can find them...

A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

You miss my point Alison. At our site everyone is informed when the AGM is and at the same time when the rent is due. (probably the same all over?) If she hasn't been given this information, she has a case.

If someone hadn't paid their rent and was working at our allotments, in all probability the Treasurer or one of the committee would pay them a visit and give them a verbal reminder!
                Ah but not all allotments have committees and AGMs, we don't have any of that. All that happens is that we get a letter from the council official to that we need to pay the £20 or whatever it is and that's it. No meetings that we would go to, no notice boards, no treasurer that could visit or anything like that so it's certainly not the same all over

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

A question how long are you given to pay the rent ?
                  surely they dont expect it the next day so as its only May it is only 8 weeks which is not really along time .It seems a very heavy handed attitude for something so minor .
                  Contact Bryn of national allotment society he is a very helpful chap on legal matters
                  Last edited by tigress60; 22-05-2010, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Ah but not all allotments have committees and AGMs, we don't have any of that. All that happens is that we get a letter from the council official to that we need to pay the £20 or whatever it is and that's it. No meetings that we would go to, no notice boards, no treasurer that could visit or anything like that so it's certainly not the same all over
                    Are you not given a deadline for payment?
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by tigress60 View Post
                      A question how long are you given to pay the rent ?
                      surely they dont expect it the next day so as its only May it is only 8 weeks which is not really along time .It seems a very heavy handed attitude for something so minor .
                      Contact Bryn of national allotment society he is a very helpful chap on legal matters
                      We, as an allotment association pay an annual rent to the council. The allotmenteers all pay a rent to the association to cover costs. These running costs are ongoing. If one or two prople were late with their payments there would be no money in the coffers to cover costs.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Are you not given a deadline for payment?
                        No, we just get a letter telling us what we owe. I assume that you might get a letter a month or so later if you haven't paid which is a reminder but I aways pay straight away before I forget. Bit confused though how a a deadline in a letter would make me talk to my plot neighbours about payment

Comment

...................... Bit confused though how a a deadline in a letter would make me talk to my plot neighbours about payment
                          Two seperate posts, two seperate questions!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Two seperate posts, two seperate questions!
                            That would make sense brain a bit frazzled by the heat yesterday so basic concepts difficult to grasp!

Comment

Have heard back from AL.
                              Although she is not able to get on as herself, she has been able to come on as a guest and read all the kind words and advice that has been offered so thank you all very much.
                              As her allotment is council run rather than association run, she has now written a letter of appeal direct to the council so fingers crossed they will be sympathetic to her current situation.

Comment

Incy to keep us all informed as to the outcome, won't you! And it is still not too late for her to get her local councillors involved to put in a word for her.
                                Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X