Adding soil/compost to my plot?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding soil/compost to my plot?

I have started digging some beds on my plot and it turn out the soil is full of stones and very low (some in the past has dug out beds but they are lower than the paths) so I need to sieve the soil but I am going to need to add some more soil to build them up. I have a feeling the previous owner "stole" some soil from this plot to build up their other beautiful plot which has raised beds over flowing at the moment.

As I have only started I don't have any compost or manure. The onsite shop sells bags of manure for £4 (don't know the size yet).

What are my other options for building up the soil on the plot? - cheaply. Can I add bags of MPC from the garden centre?

My local council gives away three bags of compost but I have to give them 2 bags of waste!

What have been your methods?

Once dug over and raked if you can afford to add compost then do so. What I have done is add compost in with the plant I am planting, or if seeds put some along the line a few inches deep then add seed and top with compost. In the meantime try local stables and see if they have well rotted manure, if not get som fresh manure but dont add it yet unless the plants can tolerate it, leave it to rot and cover the plot in the late autumn. I also use soil conditioner and pay 99p a bag ( cant remember the sze ).
    Hope this helps.
    Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
    and ends with backache

Comment

You really don't need to sieve the soil - if you do you will end up with a dust bowl. Just pick out the really big stones. As Jackie says have a look round for stable manure - some people are so keen to get rid of it that they give it away. If you can get some and it's not well rotted stack it in a big heap and leave it to rot down. MCP is fine for adding, but you will need an awful lot of it so it'll work out expensive. In the meantime build or buy a compost heap and start saving lawn clippings, veg peelings from home, etc. Also any soft weeds on the site can go in. BTW you may be surprised at how well plants can do in what you may regard as poor soil. Just build up the beds gradually.
      Last edited by rustylady; 27-05-2010, 08:43 AM.

Comment

If your council is already giving away compost they may well sell you some too. Ours sells at £10 for a trailor full or £2:50 a bag.

I'd start by just improving soil where your planting, sowing and then worry about the rest later in the year. When the beds are empty add manure and leave to over winter.

I don't know much about it but how about growing some green manure??? This just needs to be dug in and can be sown throughout the year. Someone on heres bound to know the finer details.
        Growing vegetables and flowers to share.
        www.takeoneseed.wordpress.com

Comment

I reiterate what the others have already said:
          1) don't sieve the soil, just pick out the largest stones (I've made a path with mine)
          2) get planting, the soil won't be that bad. If you sow into modules and then transplant, you'll be adding MPC as you go
          3) make lots & lots of compost: beg materials from neighbours, market stalls etc.
          4) grow green manures when the beds are empty (I currently have phacelia & lupins on my brassica bed: brassicas won't go in for another month)
          Last edited by Two_Sheds; 29-05-2010, 09:52 AM.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

ask your neighbours for their grass cuttings for your compost heap or use them as a mulch.
            get in touch with your local farmers and ask for some manure, they'll usually let you take it away for nothing as long as you fetch it yourself.
            Ask at riding stable for manure.
            Cut down any nettle patches you have, or thatare around the allotments [as long as they're in the shade - wildlife] and throw them on your compost heap.
            Ask any of your neighbours who have brown bins or whatever colour they are, for garden waste if you can pick through them to get more stuff for your compost heap.
            If you manage to get enough stuff for your compost, turn it regularly,at least once a week, and you'll have usuable compost in a couple of months, to also use as a mulch, which willprovide nutrientsfor your crops and keep the moisture in.

[edited due to stupidity, nettles in the shade can be chopped off, not the ones in the sun....doh!!!] thanks TS ]
            Last edited by taff; 29-05-2010, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X