Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pond clearance in the Compost

Advice please.

Weather today not condusive for the garden so thought I would tidy the pond? Iris roots have gone mad and I have just trimmed them back to the baskets they were planted in.

Question is this will the trimmings be ok for the compost bin or are the roots to evasive and sprout in the raised beds in the future

Thanks

Steve
    If there is no football and gardening in heaven - I'm not going.

I don't know the answer ( I would put them in the compost myself). However I do know that is best to leave any pond clearance by the side of the pond for a day so any pond life can hop its way back home. Maybe you know that but maybe others don't

Comment

Thanks mazle-bee.

Knew about leaving at the side for a day so that the pond life can get back in the water. Tempted to put the stuff in but the way the roots have spread it looks like couch grass? Hopefuly somebody will be able to give me answer soon.

Steve

Comment

I always have put Pond clearance in the compost and have never had anything growing back. Why waste all that good humus?
        Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Definitely, after the wrigglies are gone, use it as compost. Rhizomes will only be invasive where they are in water. Otherwise, pondplants generally make a wonderfully nutritious, high nitrogen compost - particularly Elodea !
          There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Snohare

Thank you for the reply.

Steve

Comment

What about Canadian Pond Weed ? (I could sink a battleship with mine in season)

Comment

Yes that as well, but again, creature free
                Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Thanks Roiterlet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X