Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flies in Wormery

Hi
    I opened up my can-of-worms today and hundreds of small white flies flew out -urgh
    What are they and how can I get them to go away?
    Sue

I think that they are fruit flies, and nothing to worry about, Sue - but they'll be a more experience grape along who will let you know for sure. I think that you can do something about them, but I can't remember what.

Sorry - not much use that, was it.......?

Comment

I spent the afternoon with my class planting a living willow sculpture. Some smart alec started collecting worms and before I knew what was happening had chatted our caretaker to making a wormery out of an old water-cooler canister. It now takes pride of place in class!

Hopefully no fruit flies though.

I agree with Hazel - fruit flies, pesky, take ages to disappear but harmless.
      The law will hang the man or woman
      Who steals the goose from off the common
      But lets the greater thief go loose
      Who steals the common from the goose
      http://johntygreentoes.blogspot.com/

Comment

If they're fruit flies then you're wormery is too acidic, you need to add lime, either in the pelleted form as available from the likes of Wiggly Wigglers etc or loads of crushed egg shells.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Alison
          Thanks for that, I will add some lime pellets, do you know why it's got acidic so I can stop it happening again?
          best wishes
          Sue

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X