my first plot & shed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my first plot & shed

I have been on the lists for the local council allotments and privately run ones since last summer. i got a call on friday to say there was half a plot going on the council one. i went to see it yesterday and then got home to a call from the privately run ones! one hasnt been tended since last august and one for a out 25 years so as you can imagine, it was an easy choice. anyway, i need to get a shed.. is there anywhere that you would recommend? ive had a look on ebay but at the moment they are all quite big sheds. id really like one just big enough that i could squeeze a chair in so can have tea in it if it rains. what size would be best?

Hi

Welcome.

It is great when your hear that you are finally going to get a plot. I have had my half plot for over a year and am just taking on another full plot.

I got my shed from B&Q for £99.00, all the other were much more expensive, it seems to be good, actually my father in law got it cos he gets 10% off for being a pensioner. It is a small one cos that is the regulations on our site.

Have you checked the local papers however they do go really quickly.

Hope this helps
    Bye

PT

Carpe Diem

The way I see it, if you want the rainbow you have got to put up with the rain!

http://heifer73.blogspot.com/

Comment

hi, i got one from the local shed suppliers, who delivered and erected it on my plot (big bonus that) it's 8x6 and theres room for a chair with my camping stove and all the other essentials for the allotment
      The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Shed warning!

Hey Leona,
        I'd check with your allotment first to see if they have any rules on the size of shed you can put up. We put a 7x7 shed up on our new plot only to be told we had to take it down because it was too big (even though it didn't encroach on any access routes or overlook anyone elses plot) and there had been complaints. Before we could move it someone nicked it! Perhaps a coincidence?

Comment

Hi leona - have a look at "ive got one" in this section - you can see my little treasure of a shed! (even though some grapes think its a little small! LOL!). I got mine through our local paper who have a "quids in" on a wednesday night. Also try "free cycle" on the internet - you never know. Good luck. DDL
          Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Be warned, sheds are like greenhouses. A small one may seem ideal but you will soon outgrow it. The advantage of buying new is that you know all the bits are there and you may have delivery and erection included in the price. However, it depends on your budget. You can get some really good bargains on E-Bay, and Freecycle is a good site for freebies. If you get a second hand one (even cheap or free) you will probably have to sort out moving it from where it is and putting it up on your site. Good Luck

Comment

You are all lucky to be able to have a shed on your plots. My site doesn't allow sheds, greenhouses or polytunnels, so I've had to buy a plastic chest to keep my tools and bits and pieces. It helps but it's not brilliant... I'd love to be able to have a little chair for when it rains as leona said.

Comment

there are 3 compost things on my plot. one is made from pallets and the other 2 are, well.. i dont know what their made of but they have bits of concrete in the base so i dont really see how they can be much use if worms cant get to them. im going to take those out so i ahve more space for a shed but theres still the small matter of being able to afford a bigger shed. i have a 6 by 8 greenhouse at home which i outgrew a few months after moving into the house, iv been offered another one of the same size but im not going to put it on my plot as i only have half and it will take too much space. id like to put it in my front garden but im a bit worried people might come and help themselfs as i live on the river and lots of people walk past on weekends. is there any way of locking a greenhouse?

Comment

oh and feather, where in guildford is your plot? is it near the mount by any chance?

Comment

no, it's right at the other side of Guildford, in Merrow. Opposite the Horse & Groom pub - very convenient to finish off a day of hard work
                    Where abouts in Surrey are you?

Comment

i live in kingston but i go to agility with my dogs in guildford so i walk them on the mount sometimes. i noticed there is an allotment near there and hadnt noticed any sheds. its on quite a slope tho so that might be why...

Comment

I wonder if it's a Guildford Allotment Society policy not to allow sheds on the plots... Anyway, my plot is flat, but I can see the challenge of setting up a shed on a sloping plot..!
                        Last edited by *Feather*; 13-03-2007, 06:01 PM.

Comment

where i want to put one the ground sort of dips but i figure i can stick a load of bricks in or something...might be a bit heath robinson or whatever they say!

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
                            Hi leona - have a look at "ive got one" in this section - you can see my little treasure of a shed! (even though some grapes think its a little small! LOL!). I got mine through our local paper who have a "quids in" on a wednesday night. Also try "free cycle" on the internet - you never know. Good luck. DDL
                            Dexters portaloo??
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by *Feather* View Post
                              You are all lucky to be able to have a shed on your plots. My site doesn't allow sheds, greenhouses or polytunnels, so I've had to buy a plastic chest to keep my tools and bits and pieces. It helps but it's not brilliant... I'd love to be able to have a little chair for when it rains as leona said.
                              Feather - why not grow a building - see http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ead.php?t=5261 and look at my recent post ans attachments.
                              The law will hang the man or woman
                              Who steals the goose from off the common
                              But lets the greater thief go loose
                              Who steals the common from the goose
                              http://johntygreentoes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X