Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I have too many beds

Hi

I had half a plot last year which was divided into brassicas, roots and others.

I have now taken on a full plot aswell as keeping the half plot. The new full plot now has 8 beds and a area behind the beds for fruit brushes but now I have no idea what is going in the beds.

I have Jerusalem Artichokes, Rhubarb and Asparagus to go in but not much else, I think I need a shopping spree
    Bye

PT

Carpe Diem

The way I see it, if you want the rainbow you have got to put up with the rain!

http://heifer73.blogspot.com/

ive only just taken on half a plot but i always thought if i had a whole one id grow more fruit, raspberrys and blueberrys mainly. you could try growing goji berries although i expect theyd need cover.

Comment

I have a whole lotty, which looked very daunting. I now have split it into 12 beds and a space for fruit, compost bin - which I keep moving at present. But with 2 / 3 beds for potatoes, 1 with winter greens in still thats a over 1/3 full already. i m sure will be able to fill all your space. My beds are 4ft X 11ft what size are yours?
      Denise xox

Learn from the mistakes of others because you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
      -- Alfred E. Neumann
      http://denise-growingmyown.blogspot.com//

Comment

You cant have too many beds! Its impossible!!

We took on a full plot last september, thinking it was massive, yet after spending 6 months clearing it and sorting out a greenhouse, we found that we havent got enough room for all the crops we want to grow, specifically spuds, brassicas and beans!

So we've taken over a second half plot, which gives us 11 x 5' by 15' beds for the bulky crops, and plot1 will have all our fruits, onions, leeks, salads, garlic, toms, chillis, carrots, rhubarb, jerusalem fartichokes, parsnips and asparagus!

The hopes are that we can be virtually self sufficient for veg, tho if thats not the case it wont phase us, as we'll have had lots of fun trying!

You'll find whatever room you have will soon be filled, no matter how large you think it looks now!
        Blessings
        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
        Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
        Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
        On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Hi

Being self sufficient in veg would be good. As it was our first year last year we did not put much in because people kept telling us we would not eat it all and what we did have over like Onions and Garlic we did not store very well.

So if I sorted out the storing part I can put much more in the beds and then will probably need a freezer becuase ours is tiny.

I took on the new bed so that I could have some fruit brushes now it looks like a lot of space.

My beds are roughly 15 x 7 I think.
          Bye

PT

Carpe Diem

The way I see it, if you want the rainbow you have got to put up with the rain!

http://heifer73.blogspot.com/

Comment

Get some guinea pigs for your surplus crops...they'll reward you in manure (and cuddles!)
            I have a plot and a half, it feeds 2 of us plus 3 GPs. As for storing, I find blanching and freezing a bit of a faff, so I just make double (or more) when cooking a meal, and freeze that...healthy ready meals. We had Allotment Curry tonight. Allotment Stir Fry tomorrow I reckon.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Don't forget the wine-making! We've been drinking parsnip this winter and it's gorgeous. Get a copy of CJJ Berry: First steps in winemaking for some ideas.
              Plenty of veg : parsnip,carrot, pea pod, parsley, to name a few and most fruits, can make wine for your enjoyment.
              Last edited by madderbat; 13-03-2007, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pukka.tukka View Post
                Hi

Being self sufficient in veg would be good. As it was our first year last year we did not put much in because people kept telling us we would not eat it all and what we did have over like Onions and Garlic we did not store very well.

So if I sorted out the storing part I can put much more in the beds and then will probably need a freezer becuase ours is tiny.

I took on the new bed so that I could have some fruit brushes now it looks like a lot of space.

My beds are roughly 15 x 7 I think.
                People were self sufficient long before the freezer was invented!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Pick up a couple of free freezers from free cycle. Freeze your crops raw or make ready meals. You can make soups, sauses and salsas from your tomatoes peppers and chiles. You can make jam from your fruit. You can make homemade wine from almost any fruit or veg. Theres no end to the things you can make from your own home-grown crops. Get yourself a gardening and a cookery book. Go to the library and you will find plenty of inspirentinal books there. Take the bull by the horns and go for it.
                  At the end of the growing season you will wonder how you ever thought you had too much lland.

And when your back stops aching,
                  And your hands begin to harden.
                  You will find yourself a partner,
                  In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X