Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All new to me!

Hello

My name is Kayla and I live with my husband and son in a second floor flat. We therefore decided to get an allotment, so that our son could be outside more often and we hope to be able to grow our own vegetables as a family activity.

Well, we have been given an allotment, which still has a lot on it (I think the previous owner sadly passed away), and to be quite honest I have absolutely no idea where to start!

I don't know anything about growing veg- in fact the only thing I've ever grown was a sunflower as a child.

I'm trying to do as much research as I can, however there is so much information I'm getting confused by it all!

Can anyone please give me some simple advice on what to do first, tips or suggestions for making this a success or recommend any good books I can buy for absolute beginners?

Thank you
    Kayla

Welcome to the vine Kayla. Great to have an allotment! And a smart move to join in with us!
    Next time you visit the plot, take lots of pictures with a digital camera. Then I would suggest starting a thread in the allotment forum or vegging out and people can identify stuff for you and advise!
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Thank you. Yes I will take some pic's- I need to figure my way around the website too! :-)
      Kayla

Comment

Hi, and welcome to the Madhouse! You'll learn loads here - I have!
        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

As already said, take a few piccies so we can all see what you've got. Also a good idea to measure up and do a sketch of what is there, beds, paths, hedges, structures etc etc. You say there are things there already, do you know what the veggies / fruit or whatever are? If not then you could post piccies and people might be able to help. Finally work out what you like eating and try to grow that. If you've never grown before then don't try and do too much in your first year and keep things fairly simple. It's definitely worth growing peas, beans and courgettes in the summer but you don't need to worry about those yet. There are a few posts on here about early sowing, for a first timer I'd ignore those this year and stick to the standard planting times on the packets. If you want to grow potatoes then think about getting some seed potatoes from your garden centre or the likes of Wilkos and have fun without worrying when (and they will) don't turn out as planned

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Well done! As others have said - see what you have there already and make a list of what you like to eat. Then perhaps visit a garden centre or B&Q and look at the seeds and see what looks good! Do a bit at a time and you'll get there!

My first year on an allotment too! There is soooo much advice here and everyone is so helpful and friendly - this is the best place to ask all those daft questions! I know I do!
            http://meandtwoveg.blogspot.com

Comment

Well done you
              My suggestion would be 'talk to other plot holders'. Hopefully you will find some one who is knowledgable about the site, what grows best and can identify what you have already. Most gardeners love to share ideas and give advice and, if you are lucky, plants and seeds.
              Keep us informed about how you are doing, I will be doing the same as I got my allotment yesterday and although I have been gardening for a while, I will still want advice and support and I know I will find it here.
              Here's to a great growing season.

Comment

That's a massive undertaking for a total newbie - do you have a full size allotment?

With a child too. You will be battling the weeds almost full time in the summer (I've pulled 4 bendy buckets full of flowering weeds already this week)

In a nutshell:

1) grow what you like to eat

2) don't go too complicated in your first year

3) divide your plot roughly in quarters for crop rotation (you can amend this later). Maybe you could do one quarter spuds; then peas & beans; roots & alliums; brassicas & salads

4) As you clear a patch, immediately cover it or plant it up, or the weeds will come back

5) Don't feel you need to work the whole plot in your first year. I planted loads of pumpkins on my new plot, because they take up a lot of room and shade out weeds
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayla View Post
                  recommend any good books I can buy for absolute beginners?
                  I'm a big fan of Andi Clevely, he keeps it simple: The Allotment Book: Seasonal Planner and Cookbook: Amazon.co.uk: Andi Clevely: Books

and Joy Larkcom: Grow Your Own Vegetables: Amazon.co.uk: Joy Larkcom: Books

Titchmarsh is accessible too: The Kitchen Gardener: Grow Your Own Fruit and Veg: Amazon.co.uk: Alan Titchmarsh: Books

----------------
                  I always get books from my library (55p to order in) before I commit to buying. Here's yours: http://library.southampton.gov.uk/cg...N/OPAC/BSEARCH
                  Last edited by Two_Sheds; 08-02-2011, 07:00 AM.
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Great book choice there, should help to get you started and Good luck, everyone has to start somewhere.
                    http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sarajjohnson
                    http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...blogs/pipkins/

Comment

just for a good read, more of a story than facts and stuff in ' One Man and His Dig' by Valentine Low
                      i got my plot in October so only just started as well, and Valentine tells his story from the same postition as a complete novice!! Couldnt put it down!!

Comment

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and advice.

Yes it is a full size allotment- I know it will be really hard work, but hopefully worth it in the long run! :-)

I will def take some pics, as I can't remember all that's there although I know there are carrots, potatoes, I think green beans and an apple tree from memory- although it looks like it has been left for a very long time!

I will definitely have a read of some of the books and keep my fingers crossed it's not a total disaster!

I really appreciate the kind comments and advice. Thank you.
                        Kayla

Comment

Hello and a very warm welcome to the vine from me as well Kayla. Hope you have fun with new Lotty.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                            I second this book choice (haven't read the others so can't speak for them). This is my go-to reference. The appendices alone are incredibly helpful (gives all sorts of lists: which plants grow well in shade, what are good for the winter, which are tallest, which are shortest, fastest croppers, etc).
                            http://www.twitter.com/sbeneli

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X