New Allotment - Questions.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Allotment - Questions.

After a few weeks work i'm ready to start digging out some beds ! I am planning to dig down to two spades and turn the soil over and break down the soil removing any stones etc.

My question is do i just use the soil im digging or should i add things to improve the soil quality for specific crops? Im new to growing so plan to keep things simple, i plan to grow carrots, potatos, parsnips, onions, tomatos, swede, broad beans, lettuce and some fruit bushes.

Should i add sharp sand to the carrot bed, manure to the fruits? Any tips for improving the quality and yield would be greatly appreciated.

Ive attached a few images to show the plot from week to week for the last three weekends work.

Originally posted by andyturner1978 View Post
    After a few weeks work i'm ready to start digging out some beds ! I am planning to dig down to two spades and turn the soil over and break down the soil removing any stones etc.

My question is do i just use the soil im digging or should i add things to improve the soil quality for specific crops?
    If you are digging two spades' depth then don't mix the top "spit" with the bottom one. (Use a technique called "double digging" to keep the two levels separate)

Incorporating well rotted farmyard manure would be good - but don't put it on the area where you will grow roots - like Parsnips and Carrots (but putting it where Potatoes will grow is fine)
    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Thanks Kristen....

Ill be double digging a few beds tomorrow, stamina depending . Just for information if im to add manure to the potato bed this year does that mean this area should not be used in the future for roots? Im thinking regards rotation?

Comment

"Manured the previous year" is fine for roots. Just not the Autumn /Winter before, nor during their season.
        K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X