Holes in spud

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holes in spud

Having just returned to allotment growing and also having taken on an allotment that has laid untouched for thirty years or so, I am perplexed by the holes that appeared in our first crop of potatoes last year. There were two sizes of holes encountered one is about 3mm dia and I assume these are slugs, the others are no more than a millimetre and I havn't got a clue what caused these. Any advice?

Wireworm? though i think they might be bigger than a 1mm

Comment

The first year that I grew spuds on my previously grassy/weedy allotment, I had all manner of critters inside them.

Slugs made the initial hole, then things like millipedes & chafer grubs made their home inside
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Snap - and I found some small centipedes living inside one of the holes - so I blamed them. Then I read up on it.
        I put it down to the weedy plot that I took over and tried to 'clear' with a crop of spuds.
        Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Wireworm and slugs are the two main culprits for holes, everyone else just makes the most of the free food once the holes have been made.

Ian

Comment

I had a wireworm problem last year with holes like you described. It is common on pasture that's just been cultivated - mine was - supposed to become less common with longer cultivation. It was suggested to put potatoes/carrots in the soil for them to burrow into and to remove these every so often to destroy any 'residents' - you can tie bits of string to them to pull them up - ie fish for them!

Comment

Thanks everyone, I must admit from the reading I've done I had come to the conclusion that the small holes might be wireworm but I needed confirmation. It seems also from reading that I just need to keep digging and eventually they will go because they do not like cultivated land. Is that right or is there anything I can do to speed this process up. I think I have also read somewhere although I cant find it now that green manure might work and a particular one is a favorite of theirs that they gorge themselves on. Has anyone got any advice please.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X