Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crop rotation

Hi
    I have just started(2 weeks ago) digging my lotty to get it ready for planting. I belive it had hens on it last year. I was thinking about planting things in smaller groups, with various plants inbetween to deter infestations.
    Is this a good idea or is it a must to use a 4 year rotation?
    The reason is to remain organic if posible.
    Tigerella

Originally posted by Tigerella View Post
    Hi
    I have just started(2 weeks ago) digging my lotty to get it ready for planting. I belive it had hens on it last year. I was thinking about planting things in smaller groups, with various plants inbetween to deter infestations.
    Is this a good idea or is it a must to use a 4 year rotation?
    The reason is to remain organic if posible.
    Tigerella
    Welcome to the vine Tigerella!!

It's your lottie and yours to do with as you please!

I think we sometimes get hung up on 4 year and 6 year rotations etc. As long as you dont grow the same crop in the same place each year, its basically a case of common sense!

Mix things about, try and keep some record of where things are/were and you should have no problems this year!

Maybe next year you will be better planing which area to manure, which area to lime etc but for this year , just enjoy it!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hi Tigarella, Could'nt agree more with Snadgar. Grow anything that takes your fancy, in any way you want. Enjoy everything you grow for the simple experience of doing it yourself. Look on this, your first year as a learning year. Keep a record of all you plant and when you planted i. Note down whether it did or did'nt do well for you.
      When the winter comes around you can sit down with all these notes and then you will have a far better idea of what you want to do and where you are going.
      Good luck and enjoy.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Hi
        Thanks for that advise. Not sure whether to post a new thread, but what do you all do about paths?
        I am just making planting beds either side of the path which runs down the middle. No paths would mean even more to dig over, but then with paths the grass will start to grow on the paths which will need cutting.
        Tigerella

Comment

We are new to this wonderful past time aswell, and I am trying lengths of timber from some pallets we got hold of. They can be moved around if need be, though you shouldn't have too many glasses of wine before you try walking on them, 'cos they are a bit thin!! I hope they will last a while, and shouldn't cost too much to replace when needed. Good luck, hope you enjoy the lotty as much as we do.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X