How big is a plot?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How big is a plot?

well thats it really how big is a plot? I have a big garden and big front garden bot of which will hopefully in a couple of years be veg gardens with a small lawn for hubby to mow (I dont know why honestly ) and I was just curious how much space i have in comparison to you plot holders to get an idea of how much I can grow here.

Thanks
    V

If you have a book like the Vegetable Expert by DG Hessayon, it tells you how much you can expect from a 10' row e.g. 10' row of carrot = 8-10lb carrots.

I think that the actual answer is to grow what you think in this 1st year - MAKE NOTES! - and next year you can adjust what you sow accordingly.

Comment

I am making notes my poor fridge is covered. but to read what other people have on their plots makes it easier to visualise somehow.

Thanks V

Comment

The recognised size for a standard allotment is 10rods ( about 300sqyds) but ours are different sizes some slightly bigger than others and you rent 1/64th share of the site (we've got 64 plots) - confused? ...... I am

As to yeild if you look on our lottie webdite ( address below) there is a sheet that gives this sort of info.
        ntg
        Never be afraid to try something new.
        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
        ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
          As to yeild if you look on our lottie webdite ( address below) there is a sheet that gives this sort of info.
          Of course! I knew that I'd seen a cost/yield comparison sheet somewhere, and I couldn't remember where!

btw our 1/2 plot is 22' by 55', but I don't know what we'll get off it yet, as it's our first year!

Comment

I think this will probably be what causes most arguments between plotholders!

Both the plots I have recently moved to are significantly bigger than the plot I had, on the same site!
            It's the nature of the beast for people to pinch a bit of their neighbours land when they're not looking.!
            If the allotments have been there for many years there is normally a larger deviation from when they were originally laid out. Fences go up, paths are widened, unused plots are encroached upon, huts and greenhouses can nic a bit,deals are done (I'll give you this space if you give me that!)
            I would think if the plots were re-measured on our site, very few boundaries would be in the same position they were originally laid out at 70 years ago!
            As a new plot holder you just have to take what you have bean alotted and be thankful.....hence an alottment!!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

by the way people talked about half a plot and so on I thought that the uk had a standard but it sound like its done in the same way as it is in the netherlands then

Thanks
              V

Comment

Originally posted by silvermam View Post
                by the way people talked about half a plot and so on I thought that the uk had a standard but it sound like its done in the same way as it is in the netherlands then

Thanks
                V

In theory the UK does have a standard and it is ten rod.
                Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
                Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
                I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                  In theory the UK does have a standard and it is ten rod.
                  Sorry, Peter, I know that you've posted the sizes on another thread, but I can't find it so could you just convert that into (slightly newer) money?

Comment

Thanks to LJ's link and a bit of nifty maths, that makes my half plot = 4.2 rods which sounds about right!
                    Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 15-03-2007, 09:07 PM. Reason: correcting terrible americanism :)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X