Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmmm I can't really call my patch an allotment

As it's only 12' x 25' if that and I'm paying £120 a year for the honour

So I get it on Saturday and I really need to maximise the amount of plants I can grow in such a small space. My plan is for raised beds and the sort of planting where everything is tight together so negating the need for lots of weeding.

I want corn so will be growing that with beans and peas using it as support and and things which like to creep along the ground such as squash I will be trying to grow upright and then fashion supports for the fruit.

Any more clever ideas on fitting as much as possible in? All salad veg I think I'll be growing at home. I have a large greenhouse which will do for my tomatoes, peppers etc and a spare small bed for lettuces, radishes and stuff like that.

Pictures will be up from Saturday on my blog I hope. They're going to rotovate the whole site and then water taps will be set up down the length of each row.

Next week I plant to start sowing any seeds I have. It's going to take a couple of weeks to get my beds in and organised I think.
    Rachel

Trying to tame the mad thing called a garden and getting there I think!

My Garden Mayhem...inspirational blog for me I hope! - updated 16/04/09

Can I quote you on this ... we've just had our AGM and one or two grumbles at £20 for a plot around 20 x 100 !!

I would think you can grow what you like on Guernsey ( apart from Jersey royals )
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Quote away! Land is at a premium here, I think it's expensive but it seems that it's the going price around her.

It's not just the extra space to grow that I want, it's the community feel and actually getting out of the house
      Rachel

Comment

£120 !!!
        I'd expect an under gardener as well for that price
        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 28-02-2011, 07:02 AM.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Gryfon View Post
          It's not just the extra space to grow that I want, it's the community feel and actually getting out of the house
          That's a wonderful attitude - well done you and good luck with your patch
          aka
          Suzie

Comment

My other half was wondering if you all had gardeners over there to work with you as the allotment price was so cheap so you could spend some money on one

My mum and friend are having plots as well so we've got them next to each other, then at least if one goes on holiday it's nice and easy for the others to water for them.

Just trying to work out what I actually want to grow now, I did think potatoes but we never eat them apart from new ones which I can do easily at home in bin bags. Must remember to grow only what we'll use!
            Rachel

Comment

Originally posted by Gryfon View Post
              My other half was wondering if you all had gardeners over there to work with you as the allotment price was so cheap so you could spend some money on one

My mum and friend are having plots as well so we've got them next to each other, then at least if one goes on holiday it's nice and easy for the others to water for them.

Just trying to work out what I actually want to grow now, I did think potatoes but we never eat them apart from new ones which I can do easily at home in bin bags. Must remember to grow only what we'll use!
              hi gryfon,if you your mum and friend are having small plots next to each other would it be better to join forces putting them together making better use of limited space if possible,best of luck with new lottie;enjoy it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X