Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fruit on a New Plot

Good Morning

We have just taken on a plot that was out of action from about 3 years. It was completely covered in brambles and whilst these have been cut back there is still a large number of roots etc under ground.

Couple of questions

The plot is about 100m sq - do you think it is worth getting some sort of mechanical digger in to turn it over - or would this creat more problems.

There is a bout a 6m sq plot that is now workabale (it was under black sheeting) and we want to start our fruit plot there (it is sunny all day). What is the best thing to add to the soil - it is a heavy clay soil (sorry don't know the PH) and really want to put some nutirents into the soild before planting. (we have loads of worms in the soil if this is any indication - as my daughter says gert big fat uns as well!)

We are complete novices to the allotment life and so working on advice - so anything anyone can help us will be gratefull recived.

Welcome to te Vine Delly, I hope that you will find all the answers you need!

Personally I wouldn't get a digger in to turn over the soil as it eill probablt cut up the bramble roots and they will just keep on growing. If you have 'gert big fat worms' it is a good indicator that the soil is in good shape.

I am sure that another Grape will be able to help more.

Best of luck
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

All you need is to locally improve the soil for fruit!

Whether it's soft fruit or hard fruit, you can dig a large hole add organic matter, farm yard manure or home made compost for instance, mix a bit of grit with your clay topsoil taken from hole and some old compost from a used growbag would help. Add a bit of bonemeal as well to give the roots a bit of a feed, plant the bush, with stake if necessary, and Bobs you uncle, wait for the fruit to appear!!!

Word of warning though, we are getting towards the end of the time we can plant bare rooted plants, much later and you will need to plant pot grown specimens which are more expensive.
      You also need to allow the appropriate space between plants for the hard fruit/ soft fruit you grow!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X