Wheel barrowing water!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel barrowing water!

5 weeks ago or so we were allowed pre-entry rights onto our new allotment site by the landowner as the council are dragging their feet getting the lease signed. We have no water on site yet and we've had only a few hours of rain in all that time. There is no car park either, and to appease the neighbours we are trying not to drive our cars unless we really need to deliver stuff. They didn't want us there, one even said he'd have preferred the pig farm that was once a possibility, and another has said the site has knocked £20 000 off the value of his house.

Wheel barrows and carts are being filled with any water containers that come to hand as plotholders are trying to keep their plants alive. It is a common sight from about 6pm onwards to see people trundling along the pavements and roads. It is surprising to see the variety of countainers. Filled, open topped tubs and watering cans, empty 2l drinks bottles (my preferred method) camping water containers, even a wheelie bin! Not sure how he emptied that one.

The only access at the moment is through a gate into the horse's field, then through to the site. (Tough if you are afraid of them as they are very curious.) When we have the money for the car park we will get our own access, but until then there is only one key to the gate which has to be collected from a nearby plotholder, or you climb over. Some of us have water butts which we fill up with several trips, but we are all much more aware of how important water conservation is when every drop counts. I heard one woman scolding her son for emptying his watering can in the wrong place.

A real testing of how committed people are to getting the site up and running! Out of 51 plots only 3 or so have not started work.
    I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
    Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Gosh it is going to require some dedication to cope with the trials to start with. There is a big bag which sits in a wheelbarrow, you fill it from a hose and then the idea is to pour where you want it. Can't remember what it is called or where you might get one but I think Amateur gardening magazine did a review of them a while ago. Good luck and pray for rain!

Comment

WOW that really is amazing. Keep up the good work and dont be put off!

I would have thought that allotments would put money on a house anyway not take it off! Some folk are daft!
      http://meandtwoveg.blogspot.com

Comment

Indeed, it just shows how desperate people are to get their hands on growing space.

It's nice that you're being polite ton the houses nearby too.. I can imagine they don't want sites nearby.. My plot backs onto someone's garden, and because of that (plus me being a bit of a freak ) I'm keeping my plot tidy.

Comment

How odd some people are! I'd much prefer my house to back onto allotments than other houses, or a pig farm! Not that I'm against pigs, but they don't exactly leave the ground looking pretty!

I had a few months last year with no water after my big 1000l container sprang a leak, and I discovered that lots of small containers are a lot easier to handle than less big ones. I had one 25 litre container that I just couldn't lift once it was full, and ended up losing lots of it trying to tip it into the watering can from the barrow...

Good luck with it, it may be hard work to begin with, but you'll look back in a year or 2 and laugh. Hopefully...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X