X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ananke View Post
    I'm feeling like a right meany now, they are all really nice people
    really nice people who steal

You need to either put up some sign of ownership (nets, signs: 'this plot observes Sharia law') or shrug it off so as not to cause offence
    Or, get up early and pick them all first.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

If you're not brave enough to tackle them face to face, I would put up a sign.

These are MY Blackberries. If you wish to pick them, please ask first, and be prepared to offer me some of your produce in return. Thank you.
      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        really nice people who steal

You need to either put up some sign of ownership (nets, signs: 'this plot observes Sharia law') or shrug it off so as not to cause offence
        Or, get up early and pick them all first.
        Which hand shall I chop first?!
        Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

If they are on your plot then they are yours. If someone picks anything on our plots and are caught its automatic you are kicked off the site and have to give up your plot. We have a public small orchard and the apples have nigh on all gone, not shared with everyone but one or two people have picked the lot.
          Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
          and ends with backache

Comment

It's completely out of order, but putting up a sign might cause a rift/bad feeling - if you want to remain on good terms with them you might have to try something more jovial. Something like "Oh, are you enjoying my blackberries?" a sarcastic "oh help yourself ..."(make sure you emphasize the sarcasm) or something of the like.

It's a tricky one because they obviously are assuming they don't belong to you otherwise they wouldn't be so blatant. Maybe you could explain by saying, "I don't mind you having a few but I am growing them for a reason." If you do go for a sign I'd make it light hearted if possible. Failing that some kind of siren or alarm that deafens them as soon as they touch the bush
            Last edited by Shadylane; 26-08-2011, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Some people are just plain greedy. There's a chap over the plot from me, Keith and he's lovely. I give him stuff and he gives me stuff...simples. Helping yourself is stealing - end of. I gave some brassicas to a 15 year old lad who was just taking on an allotment and he was really grateful - this is how allotmenting should be. Avaricious attitudes just don't fit.
              Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by Shadylane View Post
                It's completely out of order but putting up a sign might cause a rift/bad feeling - if you want to remain on good terms with them you might have try something more jovial. Something like "Oh, are you enjoying my blackberries?" a sarcastic "oh help yourself ..."(make sure you emphasize the sarcasm) or something of the like. It's a tricky one because they obviously are assuming they don't belong to you otherwise they wouldn't be so blatant. Maybe you could explain by saying, "I don't mind you having a few but I am growing them for a reason." If youy do go for a sighn I'd make it light hearted if possible. Failing that some kind of siren or alarm that deafens them as soon as they touch the bush
                But some folks are so brass necked they would ignore the sarcasm. Nets are the only answer I think here, that way you don't have to say anything. Or report theft to the allotment association asking them to put a note out. I think any sign should read " a punch on the nose often offends...pick at your peril!"

Comment

they probably don't think you're growing them, they probably think you're just using them as a divider, not as a crop.

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                    I think any sign should read " a punch on the nose often offends...pick at your peril!"
                    Yes. Do this!

Comment

I think the net idea is best. It declares your ownership and that you are cultivating them for the crop. I'm sure they wouldn't help themselves then. Failing that if you decide on a sign, couldn't it read

"PICK YOUR OWN DECEMBER TO MARCH
                      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Or what about "Pick Your Own - Not Mine"
                        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Loving both Ms Fennel x

Comment

Or Pick your own nose and not my blackberries (stamps foot for effect)

Comment

there seems to be a lot of theiving threads at the moment - we've got a tealeaf too on our plot. Maybe it is a sign of the times!
                              Last edited by Piggle; 02-09-2011, 02:28 PM.
                              Gill

So long and thanks for all the fish.........

I have a blog http://areafortyone.blogspot.co.uk

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop.

Comment

If they are overhanging the public type bit of the pathway then gleaning is acceptable as long as they are not going onto your plot. Same as if they are overhanging your neighbour's plot then they can glean only those Just as if they were overhanging into your garden.

I would put up a poles and line's with netting making sure my brambles weren't overhanging any public area or neighouring plots.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X