sawdust and bark

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sawdust and bark

I have been told that oak saw dust and bark/chippings are good soil improvers and break down heavy clay.

Is this true as i have about 5 ton of the stuff from my woodheap that needs clearing up and would be excellent if i was able to put it to good use.

I use sawdust for mulching my very heavy clay, when I can get it; it keeps the slugs off and keeps the water in, and the worms take it down for me. It's great.

Don't dig it in, it will start to break down and rob nutrients - if you just let it sit on top and let the worms do the work it works much better.

Comment

Dont hold me to this, occassionally my mind does get things a bit fuddled...
      a few months ago someone asked on GQT if they could 'improve' their lawn with sawdust, the panel said that freshly cut sawdust contained a chemical of some sort that i really cant remember that is harmful to grass and other plants, of course i have read your post which suggests its old, just thought i'd share anyway!
      <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

not sure about sawdust but chippings have deffinately helped my heavy clay soil, although i dont think they add any nutrients so ive got a load of horse muck going on this year
        The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

mix it with some greens as well, grass clippings or something..in layers.

Comment

Conifer sawdust will contain terpenes and other resinous chemicals (from which come turpentine and similar chemicals) but as far as I know, there is nothing other than tannins and the like in deciduous trees. They do say to let it lie for at least six months before you lay it down though, regardless of source.
            There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

I have a small joinery workshop working mainly in local hardwoods.

I understand that when lignin and tannins break down they do initially use available nitrogen to do so; but will later return the nutrients used with interest.

I have some permanent pathways at the allotments that have membrane pegged down with loads of planings on top. Every couple of years I pull up the plastic and tip out the mulch on the beds....relay membrane and replace..etc.

You can always add it to compost heap mix.... not too much at once.

I am careful never to use any MDF or even ply dust.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X