Where do I plant my brassicas now?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do I plant my brassicas now?

I have a few more brassicas to plant out now for the winter, but am a bit confused as to where to put them. Should they go in THIS year's brassica bed, which is empty after harvesting several caulis, cabbages and kohl rabi, or should they go in NEXT year's brassica bed (in which case I have a problem as they are still full of this years' runner beans and french beans)

Throw a bit of lime in the planting holes of the empty beds,and hopefully you should avoid club root.

Comment

leave them where they are for now if you can, when the beans are done, cut off at the root, leave the roots in, plant out as and when

Comment

Thats the problem if you are following an ANNUAL crop rotation.
        If you follow a TRUE crop rotation and never follow like with like (which, lets face it, is what its all about) the problem wouldn't occur.
        OK it may not be possible to plant brassicas in an area vacated by legumes for various reasons, but personally as long as they DON'T go into an area where brassicas have just been harvested,all will be well. All you will be missing is the fixated nitrogen left by the legumes (which you don't particularily want at this time of year anyway.)
        Far better to add some form of nitro in the spring to give brassicas a boost them.
        Last edited by Snadger; 26-09-2011, 07:33 AM.
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hello CurlyKale, completely sympathise - I get into a terrible pickle about all this as nothing's ever all ready to be planted at the same time is it...eventually I decided that b/c I have such a small space I'd just try to plant new kale seedlings among e.g. beans not where I vaguely remembered that cabbages had been...as you can imagine, lots of scope for disaster, but so far it's OK. I think if you have a smallish space you have to be relaxed about rotation or it drives you mad...

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
            OK it may not be possible to plant brassicas in an area vacated by legumes for various reasons, but personally as long as they DON'T go into an area where brassicas have just been harvested,all will be well. All you will be missing is the fixated nitrogen left by the legumes (which you don't particularily want at this time of year anyway.)
            Far better to add some form of nitro in the spring to give brassicas a boost them.
            Would it not give them a boost before winter? or would it make them sappy and unable to withstand hard frosts?
            I'm a winter brassica newbie....they've all blown before, even the ones that are supposed to stand over winter.

Comment

Yes it would make them sappy!
              History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X