What else can I plant?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What else can I plant?

I got the keys to my new allotment last weekend. I spent last weekend and today clearing all the weeds and on Tuesday I managed to make my first bed and planted srping cabbages. I'm now at the stage of making further beds and plan on putting in garlic and onions.
    Having weeded the whole plot though I'd like to make as much use of the ground as possible over winter. What else can I plant that will overwinter well? Would carrots work? Is there anything else I can put in? I'd rather plant things instead of just covering the land.
    Thanks

Congrats on the allotment - I'm sure you'll have loads of fun!
    How about buying a rhubarb crown?
    I've attempted to grow Nantes Frubund carrots, which are allegedly overwintering ones. They weren't too successful at that time but grew well early in the spring when sowed in late Feb.
    Last edited by perkin; 01-10-2011, 04:31 PM. Reason: numpty typing
    come visit a garden
    or read about mine www.suburbanvegplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Fill the plot with broad beans sown now. Even if you don't like the darn things they make a cracking green manure dug in in late spring!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

im with snadge,you could plant some field beans as they are cheaper you, cant eat them though

Comment

Overwintering carrots are actually sown in the summer. Sow now, and you'll just be growing slug food

They like a warm soil, so warm your bed up in early March for a sowing
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hi Pickle
            How about some autumn sown peas? Round seeded varieties such as Pilot, Feltham first or meteor are specialy bred for sowing now and will produce an early crop. I grow a row or two every year and they rarely let me down. Even last winter enough came through to make it worthwhile. You can always cover with horticultural fleece if weather threatens to get too serious though i dont usualy bother.
            Will be sowing mine in the next couple of weeks.
            Also, if you have a cold frame,or cloches, now is the time to sow early Cauliflower such as Mayflower for overwintering, planting outearly spring for harvesting in May.
            Last edited by Fruit&2veg; 04-10-2011, 11:38 AM.
            "... discipline is what the world needs today and etiquette, you know. For one of the noblest things a man can do is to do the best he can, yeah ..."

Prince Far I (1944-1983)

Comment

I was going to say autumn peas and broadies too.

I am experimenting with carrots too - just to see what happens (and keeps the DD happy)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X