Windy site

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windy site

Yesterday my son and I went to the plot to take up some compostable stuff and pick veggies for the weekend. Our shed, complete with potting bench, chairs, camping cooker, 4 6ft posts, tools etc etc had been blown back 2 inches from its base, despite 3 4by4 posts hammered in 8 to 10 inches at each end and one in the middle. They had been pushed over a bit. We managed to get the shed back on the base, and repositioned the posts, the club hammer came in handy there. One of my compost bins (plastic from my brother) had been blown over, complete with compost, but there were others against the fences which had come from who knows what plots. Another shed had lost its felt, and another a window. A fourth was bowed out at the front, an alarming looking sight for the chairman when he went up to his plot this morning.

According to the weather men the high winds on Thursday were localised to Scotland, but Monday they are going to be countrywide. I don't know what else we can do to ecure the shed, short of inserting posts through the base from inside, but I'm reluctant to do that. At least there was no actual damage to it but I think the only reason it hadn't gone further was the amount of stuff we've got in there. The wheel barrow which we had leant to another plotholder had been blown across the plot, but is now inside the shed to provide more ballast!
    I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
    Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

The good thing about windy sites is that they are usually less prone to fungal diseases like blight and pests like carrot flies don't like battling against the wind.

My dad came from a place called Evenwood. There's a little ditty which goes "Evenwood, where ne'r a staight tree stood"
    If you ever go there you'll see that all the trees lay over at a ridiculous angle!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
      pests like carrot flies don't like battling against the wind.
      That'll be why the little blighters take shelter inside my carrot nets then
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Put in 8ft fence posts at either side of the shed, a couple of feet in front of it and put windbreak or debris netting across it? Although you probably don't have time to do that before Monday Good luck Barley Sugar.
        Last edited by SarzWix; 10-12-2011, 09:20 PM.

Comment

I'm scared to go and have a look at mine on the allotment now. Though I don't think the wind was too bad here.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X