10 weeks to design and build a plot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 weeks to design and build a plot

If you were going to break down the design and building of an allotment (half) plot - what would you include?

Assuming a mid May start. (Which I know excludes some harvesting of stuff)

Measure plot.
    Decide layout.
    Dig first bed for spuds - get spuds in.
    build proper compost heap
    plant bean and peas in pots to get them started
    Create pea and bean beds - plant them
    Plant courgette and pumpkins in pots
    Create courgette and pumpkins beds.

Starting some stuff off in pots sounds like a good idea to get started straight away on that - looking at keeping costs minimal so although buying ready grown plants is an option would prefer to look at what plants people can either donate or could be grown from scratch.

I'm assuming you have no weeds then?

And what about water butts?
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

will the site need any clearing? Do you want to install a greenhouse or a shed?
      http://mancgardener.blogspot.co.uk - My new Blog!!!

Comment

you dont need to build a compost heap, you just need a place to put a heap, save building it for later.
        And you dont need to build beds, just make sure the earth ismostly free of weeds and there's some kind of feed in it or on it.
        And there's no need to dig anything either. Make ahole, drop in a psud, cover with earth from hole.
        I have no idea why you'd want to build anything, or why you think it's necessary? Is it necessary?

Comment

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
          Starting some stuff off in pots sounds like a good idea to get started straight away on that - looking at keeping costs minimal so although buying ready grown plants is an option would prefer to look at what plants people can either donate or could be grown from scratch.
          Peas, beans, courgettes and pumpkins can all be grown from seed. A packet of seed giving you several plants will probably cost about as much as you would pay for one or two plants.

Comment

Shove stuff in all over the place and decide layout once you gave gardened it for a year. No way would I ever decide layout first. I do that last.

Comment

If you were going to break down the design and building of an allotment (half) plot - what would you include?
              I would...

Decide a basic list of things I want to grow (and that it's not too late for)
              Measure the plot
              Make a provisional plan - I agree about not formalising plans with bed edging etc. straight away, but I can't work without a plan.
              Cover the soil to reduce weeds (I don't dig).
              Plant spuds

That's it - I start almost everything off in modules anyway (bar carrots, parsnips and spring onions) so I would sow them now. I wouldn't rely on donations (not entirely sure I know anyone who'd donate plants to me), but next year I do need to remember that GYO magazine and others give a lot of free seeds away, so I probably shouldn't buy quite so many myself.
              Proud member of the Nutters Club.
              Life goal: become Barbara Good.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiya View Post
                Make a provisional plan - I agree about not formalising plans with bed edging etc. straight away, but I can't work without a plan.
                If the plan is to shove things in and leave them - then that's still a plan!

Comment

It's grass at the moment - so needs considerable work (Maybe too much work even for a team of people?)

It's a possible project for a group of young people.
                  Last edited by alldigging; 20-04-2012, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by taff View Post
                    you dont need to build a compost heap, you just need a place to put a heap, save building it for later.
                    And you dont need to build beds, just make sure the earth ismostly free of weeds and there's some kind of feed in it or on it.
                    And there's no need to dig anything either. Make ahole, drop in a psud, cover with earth from hole.
                    I have no idea why you'd want to build anything, or why you think it's necessary? Is it necessary?
                    I don't know!
                    Building the compost heap would be if they had time (and we got plenty of free wood available)... same with building edged beds rather than just cutting beds out of the ground.

All just trying to think of things that make it look like an allotment.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      I'm assuming you have no weeds then?

And what about water butts?
                      It's grass at the moment. So perjaps needs weedkilling now with something strong ...?

Just putting some thoughts down - and keen to hear everyone's thoughts.

Comment

Mark out the beds you want, and take the turf off the beds. Stack in a spare area and it will rot down into lovely loam which can be returned to the beds at a later date. The grass between the beds can be left as paths. I wouldn't advise using weedkiller.

Comment

Is there a group of you working on this plot, or just you? You're making it sound like some sort of a challenge - like those TV programmes where they have a week to transform a garden.
                          Obviously, a group can achieve far more in a given time than an individual and I expect most of these replies are tailored towards an individual's capabilities. You may need to provide more information!!

Comment

It's grass at the moment. So perjaps needs weedkilling now with something strong ...?

Just putting some thoughts down - and keen to hear everyone's thoughts.
                            Or just cover with cardboard, and plant through. The lack of light will kill off all the grass by next year. Or do a lazy potato bed. Works as well with most other crops apart from carrots and parsnips. Growing vegetables on Leeds allotments - Lazy Beds

Comment

I use the no dig philosophy, but like you I inherited a double plot full of couch grass and thistles. I dug it the first year, removed as many of the weeds, especially the couch grass roots which I found were in the top spit, covered the planting area with manure and planted through it. (I've never felt the need to dig it again)

A group of yungun's, or owlden's for that matter (3 people) should be able to rattle off a half plot in less than a day and pile all the weeds into a heap in the corner.
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X