Stoney Ground

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stoney Ground

Have got loads of stones on the lottie and have done nothing with them thinking they would help with drainage. Plot is already well drained so should we remove them in order to get a fine tilth.
    Advice needed

SS

Hello Stroppy Scotte, I think this came up before, and as I said then, the problem with stoney ground is it is just that. In my experience you can remove the stones all you like, enough to build dry stone dykes, and you still have stones. They seem to appear from the bowels of the earth. Is the ground near a river. I used to have a garden like that, no end to the stones, but it was very fertile and everything grew wonderfully well. There was no such thing as a fine tilth but seeds sown in not very straight rows among the stones grew on great. Will be interesting to hear how you get on.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Might I suggest that if you want carrots or parsnips that you consider either growing in pots, dibbing each station or finding a short rooted or even ball variety? Carrots in stony ground is a nightmare of the first order!

Good luck and enjoy

Terry
      The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

In this area (East Yorks) they manage to grow fantastic crops of spuds, wheat, maize - on soil that looks like gravel it's so stony. Don't give up. Just don't try for long, uniform roots. As TP said, be aware you'll need to grow carrots etc in pots.
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks for that.
          We are not near a river but had problems with carrots last year. Maybe I will attempt to clear a small area as much as i can!!!
          Will let you know how it goes.
          SS

Comment

I know it would be a lot of work but what about putting in raised beds.If you filled them with your own compost or mushroom compost etc you will get the depth and no stones - you just wont be able to grow carrots for a few years.
            There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. Don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it in your future.

Comment

Were considering that one on the grounds of getting old one day!!
              It may be worth a thought over the next couple of years. Thanks Beefy.

Comment

Don't know whether I qualify as older, or wiser, but I've gone for the raised beds.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                  Don't know whether I qualify as older, or wiser, but I've gone for the raised beds.
                  Me too Alice!

Bernie aka Dexterdog
                  Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

As my fellow grapes have already pointed out, you can remove as many stones as you want but they will return year in year out - not the same stones obviously, but new stones will work their way to the surface each year.
                    I'd just concentrate on only removing those larger stones that are directly interfering with your crops, or as suggested, make up a few raised beds.
                    As for carrots, try growing Paris Market varieties - small ,globe shaped varieties and therefore good for shallow or stony soils.
                    My ground is quite stony in parts so I am growing my carrots (Paris Market Atlas) on ridges with the top taken off to create a water saving depression - doing the same with my onions and also probably my beetroot.
                    Good luck whatever approach you decide to take
                    Rat

British by birth
                    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks to all!
                      Certainly a good idea about the carrots.
                      SS

Comment

They make good hardcore for Paths you just need to put a sry mix on them and water it ...... I know cos thats what they all do up here !!
                        ntg
                        Never be afraid to try something new.
                        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                        ==================================================

Comment

I put all the found stones in the lane behind my property when I made my raised beds. The lane was getting big ruts from the bike riders, but looks quite flat now.
                          "A good gardener always plants 3 seeds - one for the bugs, one for the weather and one for himself.” - Leo Aikman
                          Lauren

Comment

i seived the earth of all the stones and put them in raised beds and used the stones for paths.
                            Attached Files
                            ---) CARL (----
                            ILFRACOMBE
                            NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

Good raised beds Carlsea Wolf.
                              Nick - what's a sry mix. Sounds interesting.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X