Stoney Ground

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry mix? - cement?

s and d are together on the keyboard. I do it meself!
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I leave stones in my beds as I heard one wise old bloke say that they help to keep heat in the beds after a day in the sun and so with this in mind this is how I justify not bothering to remove them.

Comment

Originally posted by LostthePlot View Post
        I leave stones in my beds as I heard one wise old bloke say that they help to keep heat in the beds after a day in the sun and so with this in mind this is how I justify not bothering to remove them.
        I was told this too. However, do the stones feel hot like they've kept the heat in? No.
        so I take mine out and put them in the lane for a path
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks Flummery. So do I just put cement over the stones to make a path, or is it a mix of somekind.
          I ask because we had some pot holes filled in recently. The holes were filled in with hard core and some kind of mix put over the top (kind of yellow colour). It's worked a treat so would like to know what the mix is.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

No, Alice i'd say that unless you put several inches of concrete over your compacted rubble it will break up in the frost. I imagine yellow stuff was what we call 'hoggins' in this neck of the wood. It comes in several shades- pinkish usually here. Wish I could remember a more universal name for it. it's like shayle or stone and dry clay mixture and can be compacted as suface to recieve paving etc. Sorry i'm a woodworker but that is the gist of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
              Sorry i'm a woodworker but that is the gist of it.
              I'm feeling curious - the heat today no doubt. What sort of woodworking do you do? TOH is a woodturner, associated with East Surrey Woodturners. I know you are a fair distance from here but are you also a turner?
              Last edited by TPeers; 02-05-2007, 04:28 PM.
              The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X