Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoe, hoe, hoe!

Hi everyone!

My name is Bernie and I have a confession!

(Pause, or paws says Dexter, deep breath)

I don't know how to use a hoe! Stop laughing! Seriously, in my little back garden last year I just sat down and used a fork and trowel to get the weeds out, but that obviously isn't going to work this year with the lottie beds!

I have a hoe, one of the ones with a square type shaped head, and I've also got lots of weeds growing at the lottie, due to me not going for ages because of my bad back. The hoe seems the ideal tool to get to grips with the weeds, but how?

Suggestions on a postcard.....sorry, reply to thread to......

Thanks guys and gals!

Bernie aka Dexterdog
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

All the edges are straight........
    Bernie aka Dexterdog
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Ah! it's becoming clearer! Thanks LJ will give it a go! My new pressie arrived today, the wolf tool mr and mrs d used on their lottie - have given it a bit of a go in the back garden - cool! cant wait to give it a proper try.
      Bernie aka Dexterdog
      Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Remember Dexter, the best Mulch is the gardeners shadow .... I sound like confusious or should that be confusion
        Last edited by nick the grief; 19-04-2007, 08:00 PM.
        ntg
        Never be afraid to try something new.
        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
        ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
          Remember Dexter, the best Mulch is the gardeners shadow .... I sound like confusious or should that be confusion
          Yes Nick, I'm confused too!!!! LOL!
          Bernie aka Dexterdog
          Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Hi Dexter,

Just remember that the hoe needs to have a sharp edge to it. It makes things so much easier and more efficient.

If you have problems sharpening it, just pm me, I work in Rossendale (not too far from you) and I would gladly sharpen it for you.

Regards

Darren

Comment

Thanks for that Darren - I didnt realise that!
              OH has a grinding wheel attached to an old washing machine motor - you should see the sparks fly! Will get him to sharpen it up for me.
              Thanks for the offer.
              Bernie aka Dexterdog
              Bernie aka DDL

Comment

DDL I reckon a file will do the job fine. You start grinding the thing and you'll be buying a hoe a month. The great skill is to cut the weeds not the plants! I cut off two onions this week v. annoying! also keep it working just at surface of soil,so you cut weeds not dig them up to re-root in the first rain.

Comment

Bernie,

Can I just say that I have never sharpened my hoes or spades! If used regualarily the abrasive action of the soil, especially if it's sandy will keep a good edge on it!
                  Some tools are case hardened, that is, the edges alone are hardened organically of course by dipping the red hot end into hoof and horn meal thereby coating the edges with a carbon compound. If you file/grind off this case hardening the edges will blunt quicker and you will be back to the mild steel base!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks Snadger - my boss (who used to do a lot of gardening) told me the same thing! Now that they have a sharp edge on them, I reckon that will do me fine, with all the use they will be getting they should be fine from now on.
                    Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X