Wash off your compost!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wash off your compost!

Just saw this and thought it would be worth bringing it to everyone's attention!http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18206191
    Last edited by veggiechicken; 28-05-2012, 06:16 AM. Reason: correcting link

Now Wash Your Hands Please

Anyone see it on the news this morning? Gardeners are being warned to wash their hands after using compost because of the threat of Legionnaire's Disease. Apparently in Australia there are health warnings on the compost bags.
    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-
      Just saw this and thought it would be worth bringing it to everyone's attention!
      Hi VC - I can't get the link to work.

Oh - there's another thread about this - now wash your hands
      Last edited by ladylottie; 28-05-2012, 06:13 AM.
      Forbidden Fruits make many Jams.

Comment

Sorry - try the link now!

Comment

I'll merge the threads. You trump FF, VC as you posted 2 mins before FF

Comment

Two great minds looking out for you all
            Thanks Chris!!

Comment

I think it's common sense really to wash your hands after being in the garden and putting anything near your face anyway? Unless I'm just the odd one out, but I generally always (though thinking about it, I have just remembered one time recently when I didn't ) wash my hands after touching compost/soil/pets before putting anything near my face.

I'm extremely 'on the ball' about it with my kids mind. I used to eat compost and suck lumps of coal when I was a kid, but having chickens with a little helper that touches them, and plays in the compost I use - I always make sure she washes her hands straight away afterwards.

Comment

this isn't new news, every year there are reports of people dying from gardening. There was a poor fella who died after getting pricked by a rose.

It's definitely possible for bacteria to enter the body through cuts on the hands: so follow sensible precautions as Chris says ^

- keep cuts covered
                - wash your hands in soap & HOT water if you cut yourself
                - wear gloves if you're likely to get cut, or if you have cuts on your hands
                - always wash your hands after handling soil (or compost), even if you had gloves on

It's the same advice for food preparation: bacteria are there just waiting for an "in"
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

This warning is associated with the inhalation of droplets of water carrying Legionnaires, not bacteria entering the blood stream through cuts.

Comment

Not long ago I read/heard something about LD being found in water butts too

Makes you wonder how all the 'old time' allotmenteers are still knocking around into their late 80's and 90's doesn't it?

We all need germs - and they're not so scarey now we have a vast selection of antibiotics compared to how things were 100 years ago.

Precautions? yes- of course- especially if someone is at 'high risk' due to medical problems

Will it stop me from eating strawberries straight off the plant- or fresh radish/carrots straight from the ground??? Nope.
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                      Will it stop me from eating strawberries straight off the plant- or fresh radish/carrots straight from the ground??? Nope.
                      You mean there's another way to eat strawberries?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        You mean there's another way to eat strawberries?
                        Yep, dunked in a tub o' ice cream.
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                        -----------------------------------------------------------
                        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

And in melted chocolate ..............

Comment

like this??
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                              this isn't new news, every year there are reports of people dying from gardening. There was a poor fella who died after getting pricked by a rose.
                              My paternal grandfather, who died before I was born, was a farmer, but died from tetanus from a large splinter he got while doing some pruning in the garden (this was way back in the forties).
                              Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                              Endless wonder.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X