Bit of a dilemma

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit of a dilemma

Any suggestions welcome. We have taken up the back half of a 10 rod plot in April this year after the plot holder gave up half due to health problems. Our half was overgrown and had a lot of rubbish to be cleared but things are going well. The other half looked neat and tidy at the beginning of April however this is not the case now. It is covered in weeds which is quite sad because he may not be well. I do not have the physical energy to help him out (I have varying energy levels due to a previous illness and coping with our plot is enough plus I still have my old shared bit until the end of August) but we may be able to do some strimming where he hasn't got crops growing. We need to ask him first when we next see him - we've only met him twice. But my question is - would putting up say a metre of debris netting between the two halves help to avoid weed seeds or is this just wishful thinking.
    A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows

I suppose it depends on the size of the seeds and the holes in the netting plus the strength of the wind!

If it makes you feel better give it a go.

Comment

It's wishful thinking.

Winds go up, down and round & round, and so do the seeds.

I'd highly recommend strimming/deadheading the weeds before they can go to seed. Keep at it, and it'll be a pain, but much better than letting them seed
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks 2S - been down there again today. I think I will weed the groundsel plants as they are just about to flower. Hopefully he won't mind - our neighbour thinks he might be away. We haven't got a lot of time at the mo thanks to the weather as I am sure you will appreciate! This seems to be the year of the goundsel on this site and I think they might be similar to dandelions when they seed i.e. floaty. It's not going to be cheap doing the fence either so I think we'll take a raincheck on this. I bought some gel filled knee pads earlier in the year - I think I'll make good use of them.
        A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows

Comment

Groundsel is prolific, but thankfully shallow-rooted (compared to dandies).

My lotty neighbour is very good at weeding his beds, but not his path (which is adjacent to my plot). I keep ripping his weeds up as soon as he goes home for his tea
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Wish you two were my neighbours! Fancy coming and weeding my plot?

I'll make cake!!!
            http://meandtwoveg.blogspot.com

Comment

The trouble is I have been sharing with others for the last four and a half years - helping with weeding, watering, etc. I'm going to be doing an awful lot of mulching in the future! p.s. my kids were born in High Wycombe!

Comment

I have now spoken to my neighbours and we can help them out. There are health issues involved but they have been weeding over the last week. In the nick of time for the groundsell. The whole site also seems to be covered in thistles at the mo but they are reasonably easy to pull out as the ground is so soft after all the rain but they have nice fat flower buds so now is the time to get rid of them. They are also happy that my OH will do some strimming too.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X