Feeling bullied off my plot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by alldigging View Post
    If the rent is paid then that's one tick on the list but if the plot is causing a nuisance to other plot holders then that's a cross.

I don't agree with stealing plots or crops - but an untended plot is a huge issue for other plotholders.

I would assume a deposit to be returned if the site is left in good condition and deductions made for any work needed to bring it up to scratch..?
    Sorry chuck but if a plot IS untended then a quick word to the occupant is the appropriate action, not weedkilling, digging over and replanting with your own crops!

Comment

• Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
      Sorry chuck but if a plot IS untended then a quick word to the occupant is the appropriate action, not weedkilling, digging over and replanting with your own crops!
      Agreed! Plot stealing is out of order - but when people don't respond to requests like happened here you have to deal with it. Our rules say what we can do. I suspect no allotment site rules allow for random weedkilling or plot stealing.

Comment

Agreed! Plot stealing is out of order - but when people don't respond to requests like happened here you have to deal with it. Our rules say what we can do. I suspect no allotment site rules allow for random weedkilling or plot stealing.
        I've been reading this thread since it started and nowhere can I find that the plot holder was requested to do anything.

Comment

What request though?

Comment

• Originally posted by rustylady View Post
            I've been reading this thread since it started
            Me too....Bit like an allotment soap opera innit!....what dastadly deed will Mr Stalinpants do in next eposode..(no insensitivity intended)

Comment

• I also have been following this from the start & which ever way you want to slice it up the plot has been taken over by another allotmeneer during the period of tenancy paid for by akashicdevi‎.
              The situation may well have arisen initially due to lack of communication,but even if she is in the wrong for not attending her plot for an extended period the plot should have been left fallo until the notice to quit had expired.
              He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
                I think it had been reclaimed, it was covered, and there are a number of unoccupied plots....perhaps not so conveniently adjacent to the 'chairman's' tho eh.
                Anyhow....My point was just... I agree abandonment is a problem but you don't take over before the termination of a tenancy
                Exactly Paulottie, About a third of the site 'looks' abandoned because of the weather- people haven't been getting to their plots. The plot at the top of mine has been untouched for two years. It was taken on by a new plotholder around April and they haven't been down once yet.

The end of the rental year is April, so even in the height of my illness, while being off from work and money is tight, I made sure to pay my rent.

I asked the chairman of the federation to liaise with the committee over it, because he is the most experienced person I know- both in running sites and and has handled and helped numerous committees set themselves up... he's independent to the situation so I hoped he could be an Ambassador for Common Sense and Calm, whilst explaining to them what a committee could and couldn't do. He was most kind and did his best because he wasn't happy to hear what happened. The offer they've come back with is that I can have a new half plot in Sept... or I can keep the top half of my own plot (the end they've poured weekdiller on) There was a lot of talk about how "we're only thinking of you, and in your illness, making it easier and less of a challenge to get back into it"

Of course, both these so called offers are the same as what was effectively on the table already- it would be ending tenancy on my plot and giving me tenancy of a different plot, so the chairman can hang onto mine. The only difference is they want me to agree to it this time instead of forcing it through and are trying to pull the "she can't cope" card. The argument is that perhaps I ought to make some concessions, but my point is that I was already making concessions and overlooking the criminal damage by just wanting him OFF my plot and be allowed to carry on in peace.

Lets just say I'm getting myself very familiar with English tort law... tenancy rights... criminal damage and theft (which are criminal laws) vs conversion and unjust enrichment laws (which are civil laws), discrimination laws, as well as 'duty of care' and whether its misuse of funds to use site money for personal gain. (the weedkiller) and what obligations the council have to investigate and remove nuisance plotholders who are breaking the law. I think I've got my head clear on a lot of it, but really need NSALG to reassure me that I'm interpreting the law correctly.

I paid my membership to NSALG earlier in the week, and waiting for them to process my membership application. I have nothing to lose anymore... I feel like I'm fighting a bigger battle than just over my plot. This ridiculous carry-on will only escalate if its accepted and it's clear from their offers that they're not sorry and aren't accepting of their mistakes. If I have to leave, I'd like to take one or two with me!
                Last edited by akashicdevi; 05-08-2012, 04:57 PM.

Comment

• Good for you Akashicdevi. They can't turf you off your plot, it's yours till the rent runs out in April. Have you arranged a site visit with the allotment lady from the Council?

Comment

• Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                    I've been reading this thread since it started and nowhere can I find that the plot holder was requested to do anything.
                    I can't find any request from them either.
                    They are saying that they tried to reach me in that time... i have to give them the benefit of the doubt on that, but I question why that contact didn't come via the chairman via email, as he was contacting me about other matters that way during those weeks... particularly since he was the MOST involved in the situation, but there's not a squeak about my plot from him. If anyone else tried to reach me they wouldn't have been able to, it doesn't appear that their emails came through... probably junk filtered.

Even, even, if they had contacted me, they still broke the law the moment they commandeered my plot. And they did that before the council sent out a 28 day cultivation warning letter which is the first communication I received. In the process they misled the council by withholding information. (that the plot was cultivated and already had things growing on it) It's so incompetent, it's bonkers... these people shouldn't be in charge if they can't even read the tenancy agreement

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                    Good for you Akashicdevi. They can't turf you off your plot, it's yours till the rent runs out in April. Have you arranged a site visit with the allotment lady from the Council?
                    She doesn't tend to do site visits, trusting the committees of each site to keep her informed about non-cultivation, and she is rather hard to get hold of. She's one woman covering a large borough and I think she has been hoping we can reach a sensible resolution ourselves. Once I speak to NSALG I'm going to see what the best route to take is to push her to investigate harder without getting her back up. They have a local rep who have probably dealt with her before.
                    Last edited by akashicdevi; 05-08-2012, 03:17 PM.

Comment

• Hats off to you with all your time and patience, I know if anyone who had touched my plot, I would of phoned police for criminal damaged and then proceed to take back the plot i paid for in full by ripping out what someone else had done, fliping cheek and a complete hash on their side.
                      from what I can see the plot tennacy is still yours till next april so i would still work on whats rightfully yours

Im still surprised its taking so long tbh
                      You need huge hug and a good drink to reward your patience so far,

Comment

• Good on you, you seem to have come a long way since your original post & gained in strength.
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                        -----------------------------------------------------------
                        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Great news! Yes, I know that the situation is still stalemate, but you sound so much stronger and more positive than you did at the start of this thread!

In your shoes, I would be undecided between having a new plot, thus being further away from the antagonist, and standing my ground, yet having to put up with the guy, and try to tend a 'poisoned' plot. The little red fella on one shoulder favours spraying weed-killer on his plot, and his crops that are on your plot. He'll have a couple of lean years the! Yes, I know that's just nasty, but not really much worse than he has done to you. The chap on the other shoulder, however, favours taking a new plot, and peace and quiet. I guess my bark really is worse than my bite lol.

Personally, I wouldn't go quietly, though. I would demand that they provide copies of all documentation that they say they have sent to you. If they posted, they will have copies on their file. If they emailed, they will have copies on file, as will your spam folder. If you download your emails from the server to somewhere like 'outlook,' they will probably still be on the server, could be worth checking. I would also make noises about the guy's unsuitability for holding office, chucking in words like incompetence and under-handedness.

We're all behind you. Good luck!
                          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X