No announcement yet.

New allotment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look like mine when I took it on!! Bilndweed is my worst weed!! Good luck with it. Take plenty of photos too

Comment

Day 2 was little less labour intensive. Took my dog Stitch with me today to show him his new second home...

Got some seeds sown in the hope that it's not too late to get in on some 2012 action:
      Cabbage
      Sp Onoins
      Runners
      Beetroot
      Turnips
      Salad leaf
      Radish
      Lettuce
      Spinach
      Possibly a little ambitious but oh well, nothing ventured and all that!
      All under here.

And, the compost heap sorted out:

Is there anything else worth trying to sow now?

Hope you don't mind me regularly updating?

Chris
      My new website for allotment beginners www.theallotmentshed.co.uk

My Facebook page Please take the the time to "LIKE" https://www.facebook.com/theallotmentshed

Follow on Twitter The Allotment Shed @TASallotment

Comment

Do we mind Chris?

Of course not - in fact we insist on regular updates!!

You are slightly further ahead than me - I haven't managed to get anything in the ground yet apart from a few potatoes, so I am looking forwards to comparing our progress.

I am about to plant out two sorts of cabbage, PSB, winter onions, kale, chard, lettuce, pumpkins, courgettes, brussels, peas, some fruit bushes and rhubarb.

All these are from seedlings or transplants from my garden, but I am also going to sow lettuce, chard and spinach from seed straight into the ground, along with pak choi and a few other oriental leaves.

Good luck with your planting, and remember - keep us informed at least once a week, if not more often

Andy
        Last edited by Samurailord; 29-07-2012, 04:04 PM.
        http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

Comment

Originally posted by Samurailord View Post
          Do we mind Chris?

Of course not - in fact we insist on regular updates!!

You are slightly further ahead than me - I haven't managed to get anything in the ground yet apart from a few potatoes, so I am looking forwards to comparing our progress.

I am about to plant out two sorts of cabbage, PSB, winter onions, kale, chard, lettuce, pumpkins, courgettes, brussels, peas, some fruit bushes and rhubarb.

All these are from seedlings or transplants from my garden, but I am also going to sow lettuce, chard and spinach from seed straight into the ground, along with pak choi and a few other oriental leaves.

Good luck with your planting, and remember - keep us informed at least once a week, if not more often

Andy
          Thanks Andy. Good luck with your plot.

My Facebook page Please take the the time to "LIKE" https://www.facebook.com/theallotmentshed

Comment

Day 3 on the plot.

I finished off strimming today and dug my first bed out.. Planted out some leeks. Luckily the soil is very good with lots of worms. I was informed that the previous tenant regularly tilled, manured and generally looked after the plot. Apparently my new plot was the envy of the whole allotment site at one time.

Here's some more pics of my latest work

Chris

Comment

Wow - you are really getting on with it.

I haven't got that far yet, and I've had my plot for three weeks!

Andy
              http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

Comment

Thanks Andy

I won't be doing anymore until Sunday now. I sadly, have to work for the rest of the week.

Chris

Comment

Its exciting

I've had my half plot for 3 weeks now. It had been strimmed and I've covered it with black plastic and carpet 'borrowed (with permission) from a couple of skips'.

When I started to clear I found some strawberry plants - enough for a feed for me and the dog - serves husband for working late that night. So far I've cleared some space and got 2 wig wams of runners. I did a favour for a friend at work and she's bought me a rhubarb crown and delivered 2 bags of well-rotted manure so I'll get that planted at the weekend.

In practical terms its going to be next year before I really get going but for now its lovely to sit there and enjoy the peace and quiet

Comment

That's looking good Chris. You should still have enough time to get some nice veg out your plot. Keep us updated
                    An attempt to live a little more self-sufficient

Comment

Looking good - youve done more in three weeks that I have in a year and a half! LOL
                      http://meandtwoveg.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks everyone for your kind words... I am really getting the bug for this (not literally) and have a lot of work to do this Sunday and luckily I have Monday off too, and boy will I need it!

My (have to get done) jobs for the weekend include

1) Going to the garden centre to get Lime and spud fertiliser
                        2) Dig spud bed and plant seed spuds for Crimbo
                        3) Dig brassica beds and plant cabbage seedlings
                        4) Plant fruit bushes that wifey picked up from Aldi (they look very good BTW)
                        5) Plant rhubarb
                        6)Thin out seedlings that need thinning
                        7)Retire!!!

I know that it looks like I'm trying to build Rome in a day but I want to get as much done before it's too late due to our damn weather closing in for winter

Chris
                        Last edited by Cue the Toms; 03-08-2012, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Sounds great, but don't forget there are things you can grow thru winter as well. Were there any leeks in that list? You'll want them to go into the leek and potato soup!
                          Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Thanks, I transplanted some leeks that I had growing at home last week.

Comment

I'm a little obsessed with leeks this year. Had never had much to do with them before a friend made leek and potato soup while staying here. The kids loved it.
                              And this year I planted leeks but one turned up at the end of autumn, so has been hiding from frosts over winter, and just now I've found two more! I think I'm going to like these sneaky leeks.
                              Last edited by Feral007; 04-08-2012, 06:17 AM.
                              Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Day 4 on the plot with a funny story at the end...

Ok. this week my wife decided to get involved with the future yields from MY allotment. Why do women interfere?.. Anyway she visited Aldi and came home with with a Blueberry, blackberry and grape plants that I had to get in the ground, which I have done. (hate guts for garters, so do as told lol)

I had previously ordered some cabbages to overwinter.. I had to dig, prepare and make them bird/butterfly proof before giving them a place to call home, here:

And, I also have a Blackthorn tree/bush to find room for along with a small rhubarb plant that I haven't decided where to put yet. Ideas please?

Just got all this done and was cream crackered to be honest and was ready to go home when one of my plot neighbours appeared from nowhere very enthusiastically, exclaiming, "Chrisssssssssss, so glad you're here.. We have brought some Savoy for you to overwinter". (HAHAHAHA going through my mind big time.) I don't want to come across as ungrateful but I could have done without that to be frank. I have put them in the mini poly tunnel and will go back tomorrow to make a home for them. If I don't I'm sure she will be offended and not offer me anything ever again and my name will be mud lol.

This allotment soap opera does make me laugh.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X