viewing new allotment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• viewing new allotment

I am veiwing my new allotment tomorrow, i have a choice of 3.

What sort of things should i look out for when making my choice, and what sort of questions should i be asking, as i dont know much about allotments!!

How exciting! Other than the general state of up keep, which you can improve, I would think about how much sun or shade it gets, and I would say the sunnier the better. Take a compass with you to work out the path of the sun. Also where is the water supply. You'll be glad to be near it if it ever stops raining to need watering. Even if it is weedy what sort of weeds are there? Be worth familiarising yourself with what some of the nastier ones are e.g. horsetail, although they may or may not be visible this time of year. Finally if the site is on a slope ones at the bottom of the slope will be wetter and slower to dry out and be workable each year.

Comment

Things to potentially work out/ask/find out

How much light each plot gets?
      Are they on a slope? If so, near the top is beneficial in consistent wet weather.
      How prone is the area to flooding?
      The state of the plots - a wild mess, full of bramble and bindweed will be more difficult to sort than a fairly clear one.
      Are there any established fruit bushes? If you're interested in growing fruit then this may be of interest.
      A shed or greenhouse in decent repair may also be of interest to you

Comment

Good luck. Basically what the others have said, plus are you allowed sheds, greenhouses. Or does one of the plots already have these? BTW, could you please add your location (nearest town) to your profile as this will help us answer questions.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice, i will let you know how i get on

Comment

You'd do well to talk to some of the other plot holders too. It would be worth finding out why the plots are empty?
            What your immediate neighbours are like? (some aren't so nice, and it's better to find out sooner than later).

Take what you hear with a pinch of salt, of course, but it's worth asking.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

As above, plus find out what timescale you have to decide, don't be tempted to rush into making a decision. I had a choice of 2 when I got mine, I would not have chosen my plot personally due to inexperience but took advice from other plot holders and am now glad I did.
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Went to view the allotments and 2 where very overgrown, but the first one had been worked last year and had quite a few weeds but nothing major, and right next to the water supply, so i picked that one.

Was really surpised at the size as i only have a small raised bed in my garden, but there is so much space and only £20 a year, i am just so excited.

Comment

Well done TP, just at the right time to get it ready for spring Start planning!!

Comment

Sounds like the best choice. Time to start planning with those seed catalogues!

Comment

Ah how lovely for you, Good Luck!
                      You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Went to have a tidy up on the new allotment, and turns out from chatting to other people, that my plot has been worked last year so its really easy to dig, and the weeds are not too bad, could see where he had grown spuds, carrots ,beans and parsnips, which is great so i can plant mine in other areas.

Comment

Take a picture of your plot in the before state and then you can see how much progress you have made.
                          Don't try and do everything at once,little and often is much better and much kinder on your back.
                          http://petersgarden101.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Well the new allotment has got off to a good start!!! I have been diagnosed with ME and my partner who was going to be doing all the digging etc has broken his arm, so as i cant do anything and am restricted to doing the planting i really thought i would have to give it up before i had even started.

But no, to the rescue my partners 17 year old son, is doing the digging for me, this is what he achieved in an hour and half, bless him.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Oh That's bad news but it's lucky you have a willing helper for now

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X