Likac's Lilac Allotment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Likac's Lilac Allotment

I noticed a few people have their "own thread" so to speak where they add information and questions about their own plot without having to start a new thread each time. I figured I would do the same here.

I've called it my "lilac allotment" for a couple of reasons - my username of Likac stems back from many years ago when I was choosing a username for a site and a typo meant instead of being Lilac66 I was Likac66. I have used it ever since!

Purple is my favourite colour so I am planning on growing a large number of purple vegetables. I have already grown purple peppers, broccoli and mange tout but I've got some extras this year such as purple podded beans, purple carrots etc.

I am going to buy a small shed to go on the plot and I'll be painting that purple as well. I hope the other allotmenteers don't think I'm just crazy.

Tomorrow I'm having some help at the allotment - my mum and dad are coming up to help clear some rubbish, rotovate some of the plot and cut back the apple tree. However, at the moment the forecast is not great so I'm a bit worried if we'll be able to do it or not.

I just wondered if other people have a "theme" to their plot or garden?
    Likac66

Living in her own purple world

Loving gardening, reading, knitting and crochet.

Good idea, don't forget to post before and after photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Likac66 View Post
      I noticed a few people have their "own thread" so to speak
      Do you mean a blog ?
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

No - I mean threads on here. A bit like a blog on here.
        Likac66

Comment

Off you go then Likac, show us your Lilac Allotment in all its stages Lots of photos and tell us everything that you're growing. I like purple too

Comment

Good luck and if things don't go to plan don't sweat it. I was ill for 7 weeks then when I am finally o.k to do the final allotment bed and its rained or sleeted every single day since
            Just remember you don't have to finish a whole bed to do plant it up, you can plant it up piecemeal if you don't get it ready in time.
            My new Blog.

http://jamesandthegiantbeetroot.blogspot.com

Comment

I don't really do themes as I find that they can be restrictive - what if my favourite type of beans was a green one but I felt I had to grow purple ones to fit in? But that's me and the idea sounds very pretty so go with it but don't let it restrict you as although I think that it's nice for lotties to look nice their prime role is to produce food for the table. Maybe you could add purple touches to any hard landscaping in areas where the veggies aren't purple?

Re the thread, I know quite a few people do this, not something I do but it seems to work well for quite a few people so go with it - just remember where you put it

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Oh no, I won't only have purple veg - that would be too restrictive. But if there's a purple variety for that particular vegetable I think I ought to at least try it.

Funnily enough, we didn't get on to the plot today as we have had cold heavy rain all day. So, new plan is to at least get some manure on some of it asap to start to warm up the soil and be ready to rotovate in asap.
                Likac66

Comment

I grew purple potatoes last year, they were good. I like the idea of a purple allotment with a purple shed!
                  http://togrowahome.wordpress.com/ making a house a home and a garden home grown.

Comment

Originally posted by Likac66 View Post
                    So, new plan is to at least get some manure on some of it asap to start to warm up the soil and be ready to rotovate in asap.
                    Unless the stables feed their horses beetroot, you are unlikely to get any purple manure.........
                    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                    -----------------------------------------------------------
                    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

you lot your incorrigable you are............(spelling error)

i like purple too

my sheds empty it's all in my head........
                      Last edited by phil the shed; 11-02-2013, 11:50 AM. Reason: spelling question
                      this will be a battle from the heart
                      cymru am byth

Comment

Ooh, purple potatoes... haven't seen those!
                        Likac66

Comment

Called purple majesty, they look less purple in those pictures. BBC News - 'Healthy' purple potato goes on sale in UK supermarkets

Could also try lablab beans?
                          http://togrowahome.wordpress.com/ making a house a home and a garden home grown.

Comment

Got loads done today! My mum and dad came up with their power tools. Dad has "pruned" my apple tree. I am worried that he has butchered it and it will never recover but he is confident it will be fine. Well, I guess we will have to wait and see. But we have cleared loads of room behind the tree and rotavated most of the front.

I have put a long cloche down to warm up the soil so I can plant some carrot seeds soon.

Next job is chipping all the apple tree branches - hope to do that next weekend if the weather is up to it.

Photos below:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...psf69f2b0d.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps80b86fed.jpg
                            Last edited by Likac66; 24-02-2013, 02:52 PM. Reason: photos not working!
                            Likac66

Comment

I might theme mine in years to come, but this year, pretty summer bulbs, sweet peas, and potatos and squashes, and perhaps beans/peas are more likely. I'll try to get a rhubarb crown or two, ready for subsequent years,

New plot this year, never ever ever been cultivated, so i'm using potatoes to break up the soil... and perhaps risking it for a biscuit with my squashes and beans!

I love purple too!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X