No announcement yet.

Likac's Lilac Allotment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about purple chillies and purple peppers?

And I'm impressed your mum has her own power tools! Cool......

Loving my allotment!

Comment

I have purple chillies and peppers in the greenhouse but I don't think they would survive at the allotment.
      I have just sown some purple cauliflowers in modules in the propagator.
      Likac66

Living in her own purple world

Loving gardening, reading, knitting and crochet.

Comment

I really like your idea Likac (and I too am a fan of purple) - I love a splash of colour on the allotment so this year I'm growing crimson flowered broad beans, purple podded peas, rainbow chard, blue squash etc etc. But it hadn't occurred to me to try a planned colour scheme, it sounds fun. Good luck, and please post some photos later in the season.

Comment

That sounds nice and colourful as well - please take some pictures too!

Originally posted by WPG View Post
          I really like your idea Likac (and I too am a fan of purple) - I love a splash of colour on the allotment so this year I'm growing crimson flowered broad beans, purple podded peas, rainbow chard, blue squash etc etc. But it hadn't occurred to me to try a planned colour scheme, it sounds fun. Good luck, and please post some photos later in the season.
          Likac66

Comment

Well, a not-so-productive afternoon at the allotment. We borrowed the allotment chipper to chip the apple tree branches cut off last week, but we broke it! DH snapped the pull cord - to be fair, it was very frayed. I feel rather guilty though. We did at least clear the branches to the back of the allotment.
            Likac66

Comment

How annoying. Hope you confessed. Nothing worse than going to use something and finding it's been borrowed or broken.

Comment

Oh yes - I phoned the allotment secretary straight away who said not to worry as it was wear and tear. I would never have not said anything and was expecting to have to pay for the repair.
                Likac66

Comment

You can sleep easy tonight with a clear conscience.

Comment

Been back today and planted my first seeds in my allotment:

Carrots, Early Nantes
                    Carrots, Autumn King
                    Radishes, French Breakfast
                    Turnips, Purple Top

Also spoke with a holder who has been running a no dig system on his plot for the last 4-5 years and he explained it all to me. It's great to see it actually in action and it is definitely how I'm going to go. Going to go back up next week with string to start marking out the beds.
                    Last edited by Likac66; 03-03-2013, 12:43 PM.
                    Likac66

Comment

Went up to the plot today and marked out 6 beds with string. 4 are 4ft across and 2 are 6ft across - these will be potato beds I think.

It was getting pretty cold up there so that was all I got done.

Attached Files
                      Likac66

Comment

I came past your locality today and looked for a purple shed, but couldn't see one
                        Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Sadly, I think it will be a while before I manage to get the shed up - autumn at the earliest.

Likac66

Comment

So... I've had a delivery of manure and want to spread it on the beds that will have the legumes and brassicas in. I think it will only be a couple of inches thick once spread. A couple of questions...

Some brassicas will be going in during April/May time - the same for some of the beans and peas. Will I need to dig this manure in (it is very well rotted) or shall I leave it as mulch on top and plant through it?

Secondly, the guy who delivered it said something about the rain and wet weather but I'm not sure what he meant. Is it ok for me to spread it on wet soil or am I supposed to wait until it's dried a bit? (which will mean me waiting another week as I work during the week.)

As usual, thanks for any advice.
                            Likac66

Comment

Up at the allotment today in lovely sunshine. My little girl has made an insect house from a kit she got at Christmas so I took that up. I have started to dig out a 4 x 2m section for a poly tunnel to go.

PS Why do pictures always go on sideways?
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Likac66; 02-04-2013, 10:34 PM.
                              Likac66

Comment

There are a few variety of carrots that are purple, Cosmic Purple, Purple Maroon, Purple Haze,... You will probably like Lettuce Little Leprechaun and Baby Leaf Magentaspreen. Please post lots of pics of your allotment during the summer.
                                http://savinglives.ahar.ie/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X