What to grow?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to grow?

Ok I know this will be a question asked time and again and I need to grow things that my family and I will eat. But this is a different type of what to grow.

As some will know I have just started working my new allotment and I am preparing two beds at the moment I am looking to put spuds in one bed that was full and still has the roots of couch grass in the soil the question is what to grow in the second bed bearing in mind that has the couch grass roots still in I'm thinking broccoli broad beans. What else can people suggest that will shade out the roots and also break down my very heavy clay.

Just keep the suggestions coming and if it's stuff we eat I can get some seeds potted up int the coldframe.
    Today I will be mainly growing Vegetables.

Tonight The bloody slugs & snails will eat them!

https://www.facebook.com/manchester....ts?ref=tn_tnmn

You need to be digging that couchgrass out, Mrgrower. Shading it out won't kill it.

Once you've dug the beds and removed as much of the couch roots as possible you can plant whatever you want.

By the way, could you please add your location (nearest town will do) to your profile please. Then it will show on your posts and we won't have to keep asking where you are.

Comment

Ok location added

I will be digging it out but it's going to take time so was looking for tips of things to grow as i'm working through the root issue.
      Last edited by mrgrower; 27-02-2013, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Courgettes or other squash? Nice big leaves.

Cabbages and cauliflowers.
        Likac66

Living in her own purple world

Loving gardening, reading, knitting and crochet.

Comment

You mentioned beds, did you not? How big are they?

Comment

i'm doing tatties first in all mine, then when I dig tatties I'll hopefully dig all the roots out... no point leaving my beds spotless as the grass is only going to migrate from the derelict plots next door anyway!

Comment

but it doesn't grow that quickly - I find it's quite easy to keep the couch grass roots at bay around the edges

Comment

Now I know I should have but I haven't measured the size of the beds will do that tomorrow. As the couch grass don't grow that quickly as mentioned I'm hoping to be able to just go along and pull up the roots as the soil breaks down. that's why I'm looking at the best types of veg to plant that will help break down the clay which in places is a mix of brown and grey. I will be digging in sharp sand and organic matter as I progress but for the first season I just want to get some stuff in whilst I work the other beds. Just need ideas of what seeds to get going in the cold frame at home.

Comment

I'd suggest pumpkins if you want a thug to grow through weeds. It won't kill the grass but they're vigorous enough to carry on growing regardless.
                  You could surround plants with wetted newspaper or membrane to keep the weeds down around them.
                  Last edited by vicky; 27-02-2013, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ~kirsty~ View Post
                    i'm doing tatties first in all mine, then when I dig tatties I'll hopefully dig all the roots out... no point leaving my beds spotless as the grass is only going to migrate from the derelict plots next door anyway!
                    That fits with my idea of what to do with a new veggie plot
                    Last edited by Aberdeenplotter; 27-02-2013, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Some good ideas but I'd disagree that couch grass grows slowly. If left undisturbed it soon restablishes and you really do need to keep on top of it.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

^^^^^wot she says

Comment

Ive got couch grass pain in the bum but it could be worse you could have mares tail aswell (i have, what a delight that is) I would say plant whatever, it will come up whatever you stick in as its so aggresive and then every couple of weeks have a 'clump attack' and pull up any that comes up

Comment

Originally posted by mrgrower View Post
                            was looking for tips of things to grow as i'm working through the root issue.
                            I don't think you're getting quite how stubborn & determined couch grass is. It's a very good survivor: it will not be shaded out by anything except thick layers of cardboard.
                            If you attempt to plant into it, it will grow up, through, and all over your plants, stealing their light, water, space and food.

You are on a hiding to nothing ~ just dig it out. If the digging is hard, then cover the bed for a few months to weaken the roots, then dig it out.
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

^^^^^ wot she says as well. You can't just ignore couchand hope it goes away.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X