meeting the council

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• meeting the council

We are in the very early stages of a process which will hopefully result in us having an allotment.

In the next couple of weeks, along with other interested people where we live, will be meeting with "the man from the council" to discuss setting up allotments in the town where we live. Currently, there are none available, but the number of interested parties means the council need to provide land.

I can think of some basic questions which I am looking to ask at the meeting, such as where, when, how much, what restrictions might be in place re sheds etc, and what we get for the money paid.

What questions should I be looking to ask beyond this?
    Quanti canicula ille in fenestra ?

I'm sorry that I don't have any advice to offer (I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be able to help you) but I just wanted to wish you good luck with your quest.
    Likac66

Living in her own purple world

Loving gardening, reading, knitting and crochet.

Comment

First important point is that Allotments Law in Scotland is quite different from that in England. Aberdeenshire Council already has allotments so it is more than likely that you will be subject to the same conditions of let as the Council's other allotment holders. I personally wouldn't try to complicate matters by discussing any of the detail at this stage. Get the allotments first.

Local Authorities in Scotland may make regulations to regulate the letting of their allotments. ANy regulations made shall be of no force unless and until confirmed by the Scottish Ministers after publication and inquiry(full public consultation). That's all in terms of section 6(1) Allotments(Scotland)Act 1892.

This can of worms is exactly what is at the heart of my dispute with Aberdeen City Council.

As said. Don't overcomplicate. Get the allotments first. Sort out any problems later.

Comment

p.s. The law says allotment smust be provided. There are no time constraints. My argument is that because there are no time limits mentioned, allotments should be provided immediately or as soon as is practicable. Local authorities however are using the argument that they do not have to provide allotments within any timescale. In the west of Scotland, more than 10 years have elapsed since folks asked for allotments. It could take a while.

Comment

Get contact details for as many other people interested as possible. That way you can stay in touch and all be part of any process.

Is there any land available anywhere?

Where's the nearest allotments to you? Go and see them and ask if you can have a look at one of their tenancy agreements to give you an idea of whats likely to be in it.

Comment

Thanks for the replies folks.

I had been planning to turn up and listen to what is being said, rather than rock the boat.

Just trying to be forewarned and forearmed with the right questions in case anything comes up that needs addressing.

Comment

I have been looking at the stonehaven allotments website with interest.

Is there anyone on the forum that is from stonehaven?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X