Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning My Allotment

Hi All,

I am in the process of planning how to lay out my allotment. I have so far come up with 5x 50 Square Meter (538.20 Square Feet). My questions is are these plots big enough? Actually my main question is, is one of these plots big enough ro grow enough potatos for 2 adults?

I can redesign if I need more room for potatos.

I hope I have made sense.

Thanks

Gav

Sorry I can't visualise those beds. Could you put the measurements please (length x width)

Comment

Originally posted by wizzard View Post
      Actually my main question is, is one of these plots big enough ro grow enough potatos for 2 adults?
      Maincrop potatoes are cheap to buy. Don't waste your ground growing a cheap crop
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

There are 3 or 4 of us at home, depending on uni time or not! We eat potatoes 2 or 3 times a week. My whole allotment plot is 2.5 rods which in new money is about 60m2. Taking into account the fruit cage I have I reckon each of my beds is a little over 10m2 each. I am about to run out of potatoes probably no more than 1 to 2 weeks left. I would have thought your beds ample if I've read it right that each of your 5 beds is going to be 50m2.
        Just looked up my records, last year I grew 100lb/ 45kg of potatoes. I think that was about average even though not great year weather wise. I am a sad person who weighs all my potatoes each year! Hope these ramblings are of help!

Comment

Originally posted by WendyC View Post
          last year I grew 100lb/ 45kg of potatoes.
          That's helpful, thanks for that.
          45kg of spuds, if you buy Tezzer ones, would cost c.£63 for new potatoes, or £31 for Any-Old-Spuds

I weighed my crops one year, just out of interest, and grew about £500 of food (at supermarket prices). That's a real mixture of stuff, lots & lots of kidney beans, pumpkins, onions, garlic, herbs, all sorts. Not so many potatoes.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

So its looking like a good amount of spare then thanks for all your replies.

Where would you all suggest is the best place to buy seed potatos?

Comment

At this time of year they are all in the garden centres, pound shops etc. Don't know if you have one locally but I went to Scats yesterday and they had good deals on. Unless you are looking for something particular I wouldn't order online now as you'll be at the back of the queue for dispatch.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                That's helpful, thanks for that.
                45kg of spuds, if you buy Tezzer ones, would cost c.£63 for new potatoes, or £31 for Any-Old-Spuds

I weighed my crops one year, just out of interest, and grew about £500 of food (at supermarket prices). That's a real mixture of stuff, lots & lots of kidney beans, pumpkins, onions, garlic, herbs, all sorts. Not so many potatoes.
                Never weigh anything else, not sure why. And I've never looked at the cost. I'm pleased I get more out then the cost of the seed potatoes. I do mainly grow 1st and 2nd earlies.

Comment

Thats the other thing main crops seem to be labeled up but 1st and 2nd earlies seem to be harder to find? Or im missi g something?

Comment

I bought some from Wilkinsons recently. 2.5kg bags were about £3 I think. I bought first and second earlies.
                    Likac66

Living in her own purple world

Loving gardening, reading, knitting and crochet.

Comment

Thats the other thing main crops seem to be labeled up but 1st and 2nd earlies seem to be harder to find? Or im missi g something?
                      They're probably mostly gone now.. I seem to find them more popular, as mains are always left over in my local garden centres. Probably as they take less time to mature, meaning more time to put another crop in their place.

Comment

You might find this link helpful: The British Potato Variety Database

a-a

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X