No announcement yet.

Allotment advice needed!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok i bit the bullet and told her i was not happy with how she is rushing in and planting everything, ive been down today and weeds are growing already because its not weeded properly, but i dont know what to touch as i aint a clue whats planted where.
    I dont think she is very happy with me and she still see that shes done nothing wrong, and apparently she was told by a near by plot holder she is doing well and its ok to plant as fast as she has.
    i've decided in oct/nov gonna split the plot in half then i can take my time over winter on my bit.
    thanks for all ya replys :-)

Comment

The near by plot holder will have simply been giving her words of encouragement - you do that with newcomers. As I said before just wait until the weeds take over your friend will soon realise that you were right. Have patience and relax!!
      [

Comment

Originally posted by Lesley Jay View Post
        The near by plot holder will have simply been giving her words of encouragement - you do that with newcomers. !
        The old guys just walk past my plot and shake there heads whilst rolling there eyes!
        Whats that all about then?
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
          The old guys just walk past my plot and shake there heads whilst rolling there eyes!
          Whats that all about then?

Aren't you following Nicks instructions for growing your leeks?? Green end up??
          [

Comment

Originally posted by Lesley Jay View Post
            Aren't you following Nicks instructions for growing your leeks?? Green end up??
            Now I know where I'm going wrong!! Thanks Nic and LJ!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Yo Radleyk, I watched GW years ago and Titchy told of a Victorian idea that fruit trees grew better if an Ass was burried inder them. Just a thought!
              http://norm-foodforthought.blogspot.com/

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if you ain't going to eat it, don't kill it

Comment

Hi Radleyk,

Try not to let this situation come between your friendship, you were close enough to take on this joint venture together, just give it time. I think that this is reflective of many joint ventures in life, sometimes they can be difficult, frustrating and annoying, but yet so rewarding, enjoyable and beneficial.

Sometimes people need to experience things to learn about them, which I guess we can probably all relate to at sometime in our lives. You will have success with your veg, but maybe with lower yields, try to enjoy the freedom of having an allotment, it certainly helps me. This may help both of you to sort your differences out and get more organised for next year.

Looking at the flip side of your situation a combination of your methodical approach and your friends energy and enthusiasm could be a fantastic partnership with a bit of give and take.

I hope you get things sorted out between you and your plot goes well.

Take care

Splinter

Comment

Planting on top of things

the bit about the fruit trees and the asses reminded me of something I heard on gardener's question time that sweetcorn had to be planted on top of a pilchard . Anyway, somebody did it and in the morning all the sweet corn was out of the ground because a fox had dug up the pilchards. I expect it thought Christmas had come!

Comment

Hi October, welcome to the vine,

The trick of planting a fish under the corn was catfish and it is a native american thing. I believe they don't suffer with foxes.... although what the local racons thought is anyones guess!
                    The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

I planted road kill rabbits under the grape vines. When I was discussing manuring my asparagus beds with an old dairy farmers wife her gem was 'b*gger the muck lad- we used to bury the cow under it!'

Comment

She liked digging then!? I don't want to think how many spits that would be!
                        The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

She was not easily cowed by all that digging, then...?
                          There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Hi - if she's looking to hire a digger, ask me first ! I'd undercut any petrol / diesel engine and reduce the need for a size 10 carbon footprint spoiling all your good work ; )
                            http://www.greenlung.blogspot.com
                            http://www.myspace.com/rolandfrompoland

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X