New allotment!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New allotment!

Right so here is my allotment i have acquired today!!!! the back half is VERY wet and overgrown with brambles and couple small trees! but the front doesn't look too bad at all, just grassy!!! What am i to do? I am very new to this!! Am i best to cover alot of it and deal with little at a time? If I cover it what with? Any advice please guys and dolls?! The greenhouse is in next plot
    Attached Files

I don't think that there is a right or wrong way to do it, it really depends on how much time you have. I got my allotment 3 years ago and it was in a similar state to yours. I cleared the brambles out straight away, they will only get worse if you leave them. I then got a section of my plot so I could get something planted straight away. I have then gradually worked my way over the rest of the plot. I found it helped to see something I wanted growing, even if it is only potatoes, whilst I tackled the more overgrown areas.

I would suggest leaving the area with the brambles to last, even after you have cleared them you will still get them coming back at first, this will allow you to deal with any regrowth without it affect any newly planted veg.

One thing would suggest is deciding if you are going to have a shed and/or greenhouse and where you will put them. A shed in particular means you don't have to take all you tools home every time.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by sallyr6 View Post
      Am i best to cover alot of it and deal with little at a time? If I cover it what with? Any advice
      - Yes, cover and do a bit at a time.
      - Cardboard.
      - there are loads of threads asking the same thing: have a rummage around in the old threads, loads of info in there

Originally posted by Veggielot View Post
      I cleared the brambles out straight away, they will only get worse if you leave them
      too true.

Don't ignore them though Sally: chop down the topgrowth and cover up the roots so they don't grow back as strongly (block the light from them)
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

id recommend reading www.charlesdowding.co.uk | No dig gardening it is a great way to clear and start over.
        Last edited by hawthorns; 11-03-2013, 05:59 PM.
        my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

and after that, I'd highly recommend "no composting" !

ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/ID/tec...revolution.pdf

It's had a highly beneficial effect on my lotty, after only one season

Comment

Thanks guys, im hoping to have quite alot of time, on maternity leave but planning on not going back to work,, so will just have to try to do what i can with Baby strapped to me, im going to try rope few friends down this weekend, and cover what we can with cardboard then! just clicked on that link and made my heart sink a little, such a lovely neat allotment! thanks for help going to sit read for bit with cuppa!

Comment

Hi Sally,

Welcome to the vine.....from a fellow wirrilian......

Looks like to have god a bit of weeding to do! Cardboard or some other light blocking material is the short term answer. Then removal bit by bit of couch grass and other perennial weeds. Go bit by bit and it is very satisfying to prepare beds to a good standard.

You could try raise beds.....with sides or without. Paddy here on Newton allotments has prepared his site without and it is looking great. Mind you he's a digging machine! I went for decking boards an I find that once prepared they are very manageable and look very neat.......

The vine is a great source of inspiration and help..........enjoy your plot.........btw how long we're you on the waiting list?

Loving my allotment!

Comment

hi Newton! going to try cardboard as much up as i can over next couple weeks, do i just chuck bricks on the top?
                really looking forward to getting stuck in!! i was on the list about 2-3 years, forgot i had put my name down to be honest! there is couple little beds there think im going to try clear them first so can get few things planted for this year! all very exciting!

Comment

Originally posted by sallyr6 View Post
                  on maternity leave but planning on not going back to work
                  Crikey, I hope nobody from work reads that

Cardboard: yes, do weigh it down. Bricks, clods or bottles filled with water
                  Last edited by Two_Sheds; 12-03-2013, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Hi Sally
                    don't look at the pictures of other plots see your vision for yours.
                    many of the great and good have years of experience and have worked there plot for a long time. what you see is the result of however much work they put in and yours will take time.

all the gardening guru's on the forum are that for a reason so chin up and ask them away they are all glad to give information you just have to sift yours out
                    good luck and happy growing
                    this will be a battle from the heart
                    cymru am byth

Comment

Originally posted by phil the shed View Post
                      don't look at the pictures of other plots
                      Oh no, I disagree. Look at lots of different styles, then decide which you think you prefer. I watched Monty's French Gardens, and was delighted to see my style in an old lady's organic lotty: no straight lines, no organisation that you could spot, but everything growing well, no bare soil, bags full of produce at the end of the day

Though what I'd REALLY like is a more formal potager, like Villandry: just look at their shed! Not a hope.

Comment

ahh Monty Monty Monty!!! i know which lady you meant, the french one?! yes was amazing! Im kind of going on how i remember my grandads allotment, all neat and straight but, im much more of a hippy and think im more for lazy lines! and more laid back style (lazy)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X