Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first plot. Pics, plans and feedback please.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jackbb View Post
    Compost area ...not quite sure whether to put it in the top corner in part shade ...read somewhere that its best left in full sun?
    It works quicker, the warmer it is. However, you need to decide whether you want to lose growing space to a compost heap. Mine (and Zazen's) are mobile: we use the black plastic daleks, and move them every few months to different beds. It saves a lot of carrying

not sure a standard hose would reach so will have to fetch and carry the water.
    That's not a bad thing: it makes you more water efficient

Shed/Tool storage - ...my understanding is that no sheds or greenhouses are allowed!
    I wouldn't have a gh up the lotty: you need to be up there every day to water & ventilate. That's if it doesn't get smashed by yobboes

Tools: can be left hidden in plain sight: wrap them in black sacks and tuck them inside netted beds. Thieves would go straight to a shed to rob it, they're less likely to search the veg beds.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks for the post! Some good questions:
      Compost area will be at the very top of the plot by a fence (i am the top plot) not quite sure whether to put it in the top corner in part shade near the tree line or not although sure i've read somewhere that its best left in full sun?
      I decided I could live with slower composting and use the full sun for growing stuff so mine is going in a shaded area as that will be pretty muc useless for most stuff.

Water source - there are a couple of free standing taps to the side of the plot - its a fair distance and not sure a standard hose would reach so will have to fetch and carry the water.
      Ours are designed so you can't attach a hose. But mine is next to my plot. Despite that I'm still thinking of a water butt. Not gonna work for you if you can't have a roof.

Shed/Tool storage - heres the rub. I've yet to receive any official paperwork yet but my understanding is that no sheds or greenhouses are allowed! Also, large polytunnels are also prohibited. Luckily im very near to the plot so i can haul my tools to the plot each time, not ideal but happy to do it. A coldframe will be ok and i will consider this.
      I'm sure councils etc have their reasons for doing this - but it drives me mad! Basically they are makign allotmentering is difficult as possible for you, to discourage it so they don't need so many allotments. Can you use one of those low toolbox type things tucked out of site...?

Path widths -marked initially as 2 foot but i doubt they will be that big - as long as its good enough for access of my size 10's and a wheelbarrow then that will do.
      My plot currently has 1m paths. I'm narrowing that down to 75cm. I read 70cm on here is the right width for a barrow - not got a barrow yet so don't actually know. But I figured I needed to be able to kneel with my knee against the edge of the bed and my boots not be in the plot behind me. So I measured it... and got 75cm which is 2.5ft

Comment

Yes - The 'fallow' area is the part of the plot that is covered with the thicker couch grass thought i would pull as much up as i could and leave until next year concentrating on the other part of the plot that just needs some turning and mulching. I won't leave it as bare soil. Mind you - if i do get the time then i might get a chance to clear it all.
        Don't pull it out or leave it fallow unless your going to cover it is what I say If you don't cover it your in for a whole lot of trouble I've covered mine and am dealing with it bit by bit I have dug out loads of couch grass, brambles and docks then covered again until I can get back to it.
        Last edited by mrgrower; 17-03-2013, 04:48 PM.
        Today I will be mainly growing Vegetables.

Tonight The bloody slugs & snails will eat them!

https://www.facebook.com/manchester....ts?ref=tn_tnmn

Comment

Originally posted by polc1410 View Post
          Can you use one of those low toolbox type things tucked out of site...?
          Yeah, the plastic ones are about £25, and you could plant it in the soil, and cover the lid over with some loose netting. Invisible!

Comment

Originally posted by mrgrower View Post
            Don't pull it out or leave it fallow unless your going to cover it is what I say If you don't cover it your in for a whole lot of trouble I've covered mine and am dealing with it bit by bit I have dug out loads of couch grass, brambles and docks then covered again until I can get back to it.
            I aim to pull out as much as i can then cover with cardboard and maybe a layer of mulch. Might then have an opportunity to plant something in there too. Be a shame for all that hard work to remove the couch and brambles to go to waste!

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              Yeah, the plastic ones are about £25, and you could plant it in the soil, and cover the lid over with some loose netting. Invisible!
              There are other low toolbox storage boxes on the allotment, so will probably follow suit. Won't need to store too much up there but it will be useful. Thanks for the tips though.

Comment

I aim to pull out as much as i can then cover with cardboard and maybe a layer of mulch.
                You don't really need to pull the weeds out first, if you get a good thick layer of cardboard down. The weeds will die off, or seriously weaken, from lack of light.

When the card is soggy, you can easily dig a hole through it for planting (Zazen uses a bulb planter, they're about a fiver).

At the end of the season, when the cardboard has mostly fallen to bits and you're harvesting your crops, you can fork out any remaining weeds.

Honestly, save yourself the effort if you can. Once the sunshine decides to turn up, it's all systems go sowing & planting, watering & weeding. There aren't enough hours in the day

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                  You don't really need to pull the weeds out first, if you get a good thick layer of cardboard down. The weeds will die off, or seriously weaken, from lack of light.

When the card is soggy, you can easily dig a hole through it for planting (Zazen uses a bulb planter, they're about a fiver).

At the end of the season, when the cardboard has mostly fallen to bits and you're harvesting your crops, you can fork out any remaining weeds.
                  This is great advice Two Sheds and its exactly what I will do. Luckily I have a whole host of boxes still left over from my house move so they will come in very handy indeed!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X