Oh dear...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh dear...

Well I haven't posted on here in a while but as I've just signed my life away to an allotment I have a feeling I'm going to need all the help I can get!

It's a good plot (I think), hasn't been dug over so some hard work to come but it gets the sun all day (if it ever makes an appearance), no weeds, easy access to water. The only problem is the neighbouring plot (which will never be rented) has a big tree but I'm hoping it's far enough away that the roots won't be too much of a problem.

I don't even know where to start! Better get researching

Very exciting, if a little daunting Just take it steady, and cover some of it til you can get to it, then it's not getting out of control

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
      Very exciting, if a little daunting Just take it steady, and cover some of it til you can get to it, then it's not getting out of control
      Thanks Sarah do you think I should dig it all up then cover what I can't use at the moment? Or dig maybe half of it and leave the rest as grass for now? Really quite clueless as you can tell

Comment

Originally posted by Drea View Post
        The only problem is the neighbouring plot (which will never be rented) has a big tree
        So why won't it be rented? Because of the tree?

Comment

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
          So why won't it be rented? Because of the tree?
          Yes and they've dug a trench running through it for extra drainage

Comment

I'd gather as much cardboard as I could lay my hands on and cover the whole lot, then uncover it as you need it, that way weeds won't be springing into growth before you get to planting. It gives you a bit of time to work out a plan of how you want to set everything out too.

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
              I'd gather as much cardboard as I could lay my hands on and cover the whole lot, then uncover it as you need it, that way weeds won't be springing into growth before you get to planting. It gives you a bit of time to work out a plan of how you want to set everything out too.
              Beginning to wish I hadn't just got rid of loads of huge cardboard boxes in the recycling...

Comment

You'll find more- try supermarkets!

...and welcome to your other new hobby of 'storing everything which may come in handy at some point in the next 50yrs'!

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Drea View Post
                  Yes and they've dug a trench running through it for extra drainage

Is it to be covered to stop weeds/save effort of mowing? Could it be used for planting useful things like comfrey?

Comment

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
                    Is it to be covered to stop weeds/save effort of mowing? Could it be used for planting useful things like comfrey?
                    I don't think they plan to cover it, he did mention it'd be mowed regularly. I'm sure they'd be fine with me going over my boundary into it

I'm really looking forward to getting going now, although at the moment I don't even own a spade to lift the turf. It's going to be hard work but at least it's a blank canvas

Comment

Ask on freecycle for tools! Bound to be someone having a clear out!

Comment

Hello Drea and welcome back. How long did you have to wait for an allotment in Cardiff?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                          Hello Drea and welcome back. How long did you have to wait for an allotment in Cardiff?
                          Thank you

I think it was around 8 months, not 100% sure when I joined the list though.

Comment

That's not long - I'm amazed!! Thought it would be much longer than that. It is a shock when you get that call. Cover up as much as you can with cardboard and do it bit by bit. You'll get there and be picking your own veg before too long

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                              That's not long - I'm amazed!! Thought it would be much longer than that. It is a shock when you get that call. Cover up as much as you can with cardboard and do it bit by bit. You'll get there and be picking your own veg before too long
                              I thought so too, although apparently the site manager was called to rent out over 20 of the plots due to people not paying, I think it was a bit of a shock for him too

I'll get begging at supermarkets

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X