No announcement yet.

Dig? No-Dig?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't dig either - just to remove deep rooted weeds or harvest. Here's an interesting link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1OShZZUt0k

Comment

Originally posted by taff View Post
      It's been a bit better since i started leaving everything to compost where it fell before the winter... I chop down the comfrey and nettels ... to lay on top of the beds
      Yes, it's good isn't it?
      ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/ID/tec...revolution.pdf

Originally posted by Jackbb View Post
      do you place a layer of straw on top of the home made compost? Is any old straw ok to use?
      I grow my own "straw" ... I leave plants to stand over winter (I don't pull them up and compost them), then in spring I chop them up with secateurs, and leave the choppings on the soil. All plants, veggies & flowers

Originally posted by BertieFox View Post
      If you are thinking of covering your soil with one or two inches of mulch, forget it
      No, I disagree. Some of my mulches are only millimetres deep: it's better than nothing

Originally posted by BertieFox View Post
      I have always found the obtaining of sufficient mulch the biggest problem
      Do you include living mulches? I allow low flowers to self-seed around the veg plot, only pulling them up as I need the space. Then they are chopped & dropped
      I do this with all 5 of my gardens

Originally posted by kathycam View Post
      Make sure the straw doesn't have seeds in it!
      Good point, but what you had wasn't straw, it was hay. Straw is just the stalks of a plant, without the seed heads

Originally posted by Feral007 View Post
      I'm not doing compost in heaps, but on the beds themselves.
      Chop & drop, that's the way to go. So much easier, so much more effective. I've noticed a huge improvement in my soil just in the last 12 months of "one straw" (read Fukuoka’s book One Straw Revolution, also Sepp Holzer)
      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 17-08-2018, 07:16 AM. Reason: Senior memory blank
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Wow.....hay v Straw......I didn't know that about the stalks......cheers TS!

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X