Not happy with this plan....?!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not happy with this plan....?!

Okay guys, this is the plan I drew up for my lottie, when I first took the measurements. The dark rectangles are my beds sized 1m x 3m, with 75cm between beds. So far I have put up the shed, marked out beds 1) - 4) ; Planted 1) after digging and sifting to depth of about 1½ spits, with onion sets, garlic, shallots. Started the same prep on 2). Covered 3) with cardboard/manure/weed fabric, planted maincrop poatoes through it. 4) has had a rough dig over and weed fabric stuck over it.
    Trouble is, I'm suddenly not sure what I'm doing, or why I'm doing it, could I make better use of the space....etc, etc, etc!

Some of the things that are bothering me;

The plot is infested with horse-tail, docks, bindweed, dandelions, nettles, couch grass... &

I've planted stuff in a bed which has no barriers to stop weeds growing in from the sides...&

I haven't worked out any crop rotation plan yet, because I don't know how many beds I'll end up with or what will fit in them, but I've already started planting...

And if you look at the foreground of plot picture, (this was taken from the shed, towards the gate) you may be able to make out the good couple of inches that the ground drops? That drop is slap bang in the middle of bed 5), and i dunno how to overcome it - i haven't sorted how to edge the beds yet!

Lastly (i think...?), is that I'm planning to spray to try & get rid of as much weed as possible this year, but when to do it? Should i have done it before planting anything...?!

I'm sorry this is so long, and possibly complicated, but honestly, any input at all would be welcome - I seem to have thought myself to a standstill!!
    Attached Files

The layout looks fine to me and you can sort out rotation next year.

My experience with weeds -
    As for the weeds, my neighbour and I started with couch grass, bindweed, thistles, brambles, dock,.... and did 2 big beds:
    Bed 1 - dug over, manured and planted asap, has barriers but they were useless
    Bed 2, glyphosate (twice, 4 weeks apart) in late summer/autumn then dug over when everything was dead and covered with plastic sheets. No barriers and seems OK as long as I look out for encroaching weeds - I have treaded over a few inches of a border around it and regularly remove anything that tries to take hold there.

We were plagued by weeds last year on bed 1 and it was difficult to do proper weeding without affecting the crop. In fact it was well on the way to reverting to its former state! This spring I dug over both beds and removed as much weed root as I could find and things are much better.

I've got horsetail in my garden - glyphosate didn't affect it so I've been digging over and removing as much as I can. Every time I see it come up I dig down and remove as much root as I can grab. I'm gradually seeing less of it!
    You are a child of the universe,
    no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

OK...Where to start....Love the dog!!!

Personally speaking your plan looks fine to me! You don't need to edge the beds , they are fine the way they are. As long as you only walk on the paths they will stay defined and above path level. If you want to edge them at a later date so be it.

You say you don't know how many beds you are going to end up with but if your plan is reasonably accurate you should be able to tell by that.

Crop rotation is easy with beds so it doesn't matter what you grow iin them this year you can work out your crop rotation per bed next year!

Looking at your photograph I wouldn't class the ground as being infested with weeds, in fact it looks like its been cultivated at some time recently. If you want to use weedkiller...use it now , as the weeds are now actively growing and will take up the weedkiller easily. I personally wouldn't use weedkiller on your plot as it looks relatively 'clean'.....but it's up to you.
      As far as having beds planted up already, it's quite natural to want to start planting in a new plot and you should be able to hand weed these plots from the paths!

And finally..RELAX!!! Alottmenteering is supposed to be enjoyable, just dig a bed at a time (level the ridge out as you go) plant that bed, and move on to the next!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
        Looking at your photograph I wouldn't class the ground as being infested with weeds, in fact it looks like its been cultivated at some time recently. If you want to use weedkiller...use it now , as the weeds are now actively growing and will take up the weedkiller easily. I personally wouldn't use weedkiller on your plot as it looks relatively 'clean'.....but it's up to you.
        That's because the ground is iron hard, and most of them are only just forcing their way through it... Once you get under the surface, there's barely a square inch without roots, especially at the gate end. The end you can see most of, has had the turf removed at some point i think, (where the dip is) and so it looks cleaner. There is still bindweed, horse-tail and dock poking it's way through... Someone had the plot last year, but did nothing to it, before that it was 2-3 years since it was worked.

As for the plan being accurate, I think it is... I measured it on my own with a 10 metre tape, which was a bit flappy , then plotted it on the squared paper with one square=1m. Never looks quite right when I see it in the flesh, so t speak!

I am trying to persuade a friend to join in, because I think I have too much time to think while waiting for some help!

As I said, any input from the Grapes is more than welcome, even if it's just to extract my head from my nether regions!!!

Comment

If you don't want to spray and your allotment bosses allow it, cover all, and I mean ALL of the ground you are not activley using with upturned carpet followed by black plastic and/or planting membrane. It won't get rid of the horsetail etc but it will contain it in a manageable fashion until you have time to get to it. One the problem is contained you have no worries!

You plan looks good, and eventually you will make it look the way your minds eye sees it. Just rememner that you can only do so much and it it is better to start small.

As you have the time, uncover an area, dig it over thoroughly and plant - it is enevitable that some weeds will come up, it may take years before you get rid of the horsetail, but by working in this fashion you only uncover as much ground as you can cope with and the problem is never too big.

Consider lining all your paths with carpet and membrane, this will minimise the weed problem there too.

Oh yes, why carpet and then membrane and not the other way around? It looks nicer to my mind that slowly rotting carpet!

Good luck, believe in youself

Terry
          The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

I have never had an allotment so I am speaking from a regular back yard garden...my take on this though is that you are just being overwhelmed by the job that needs to be done...translate that now into ...the job that you want to do...When we moved into our home and all the construction stuff was moved out there was all that glorious gardening area and I just couldn't seem to get anything done...so much to do that I was just doing or accomplishing little.....What you have to do is break it down into segments...and try to accomplish it one step at a time...or one day at a time....make a list of chores that you need to do...and set a priority for them....My priority has always been get the beds made and planted first and then worry about everything else ...so with that in mind...my suggestion would be to start digging those beds...even if you can only do one per day......set a goal to get one bed finished and planted and then move on to the next...you seem to have your layout done so follow it and just take a step at a time.... .a little dampness helps when you are doing a stubborn weeding...Your allotment looks really good and I think before you know it you will have a nice garden...maybe you can solicit some help from friends or a mate? Heck I am not even above hiring some help...

Comment

Progress Report

I've been working most of the day, and Bed 4 is now roughly weeded, I've removed what seems like half a Roman road from it (should call TimeTeam then it'd all get dug over for me?!) and covered it with cardboard, a thick layer of compost and manure, and weed fabric. This will be my courgette/squash bed in a couple of weeks. Jez (OH) has wielded the petrol strimmer for an hour and tamed the wilderness that was starting to spring up after all the rain we've had. Next priority is Bed 2, which I've started the job of sieving, but had to stop as my back won't take too much 'leaning over wheelbarrow' action. I've probably done too much today, and will be crippled tomorrow, but hey ho, I can always lie down for a bit...

Anyway, I think I've worked out one of the things that was bugging me about that plan; the two beds running lenthways will have to be modified a bit - the plot narrows by about a metre and I only measured across one point... Oops by the point where Bed 7 should be, the path would vanish! So I'm thinking about having either the 'nursery bed' there, or giving the kids their own bit, then it would be okay to be a bit narrower?

Also I have the possibility of a greenhouse (but covered with plastic sheeting similar to polytunnel instead of glass), and I was thinking of putting it in the area above Bed 6 which was going to be for fruit. What does anyone think?

Just want to thank everyone for their responses so far, you've given me some good ideas, and a much needed confidence boost

Oh, and I spoke to my allotment neighbour today, old chap who's had a plot there for 30 years or so, he reckons it's been at least 8 years since my plot was properly looked after... and at least 4 lots of people have tried to tackle it and given up... i told him i'm not a quitter, and I'll see him at the show next year...! Hahahahaha, i must be feeling better
              Attached Files
              Last edited by SarzWix; 21-05-2007, 10:41 PM.

Comment

I think there's an old saying "There's no substitute for the gardeners shadow"

Very true it is, as how you progress is directly proportional to the hours you are prepared to spend on it.

The thing that keeps me going is that once I've established areas and got them planted, things get a lot easier after that, hopefully!

Stick with it and you will surely reap rewards!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Looks like you've made loads of progress, well done!

When I look around our plot I get overwhelmed, but if I just concentrate on 1 thing (like digging the tap roots out of a few feet square) I actually get somewhere.

A couple of weeks ago as the weeds were growing madly around us I did start to lose faith, but we have done what others suggested & covered as much as possible & it looks much better (even tho I know the weeds are lurking under there...)
                  I've had my weetabix...

Comment

I don't bother weeding massive weeds like docks and dandelions. I just plant around them. I think that you have plenty of space and could do the same... tackle them another day, if you fancy it.

I also have no clear Idea about rotation... I have studied the theories behind it, but my planting is so random that it doesn't matter.

Also, why do you want blocks? How about circles, octagons or snake patterns? ... I'd let the kids design it.

Don't forget a bench to sit and admire your work from
                    Last edited by SimonCole; 23-05-2007, 04:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonCole View Post
                      Also, why do you want blocks? How about circles, octagons or snake patterns?
                      This sounds good - we've been thinking along these lines. More of a permaculture design?
                      I've had my weetabix...

Comment

It is so easy to get overwhelmed when planting and making the first garden ........but we have to keep reminding ourselves..One step at a time....I have been doing just that...every day is a new day and I take on a new project or the finish of the last one ..... and I try not to over think everything...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X