Watering

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Allotment Shed View Post
    Do not water with a hosepipe. Freezing cold water will slow down your plants.
    Use stored water whenever possible
    If I did not water my allotment with a hose pipe it would take me all day.
    As it is even with a hose it takes about an hour.
    I have 300+ square yards & it is nearly full.
    I have 180 potato plants plus lots of other "Thirsty" veg
    Yes I do use water out of the"but, but it does not last long.
    The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
    Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
      How often do you water potatoes?

I don't water mine at all - they are in the ground though not tubs.

Comment

If I did not water my allotment with a hose pipe it would take me all day.
        As it is even with a hose it takes about an hour.
        I have 300+ square yards & it is nearly full.
        Yes I do use water out of the"but, but it does not last long.
        I don't water established plants unless absolutely necessary. I water pots and undercover crops unless we have a very long dry period, which in the UK is a fairly rare occurrence. I also water transplanted crops until in sure that they'll be ok on their own.
        I agree that some crops do need watering as they prepare for harvest but even then only if I feel they need it.

Try experimenting by leaving some of your crops to fend for themselves and I'm sure that your results will be the same, if not better.
        Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/TASallotment

Comment

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
          How often do you water potatoes?

I don't water mine at all - they are in the ground though not tubs.
          I just give the ground a good soaking "IF" we have had no rain for a couple of days.
          I find it better no to allow the soil to completely dry out so when it does rain it really soaks in.
          I don't use the water out of the buts to water my spuds only stuff such as onions & beans.
          The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
          Brian Clough

Comment

I just give the ground a good soaking "IF" we have had no rain for a couple of days.
            I find it better no to allow the soil to completely dry out so when it does rain it really soaks in.
            I don't use the water out of the buts to water my spuds only stuff such as onions & beans.
            But the ground won't be dried out after only a couple of days of no rain, it takes ages. The top bit may well be dry but a few inches down will still be fine. I'd save yourself a lot of work if I were you, your veggies really won't mind so long as you don't pamper them from the start.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I have 300+ square yards
              As a general rule, non-flowering veg needs 12 litres a square metre, per week (a yard isn't that much different)

Flowering/podding veg needs a bit more: 22 litres psm, per week. Less if it's rained of course.

When to Water | Canberra Organic Growers Society

We really are overwatering our gardens, they don't need as much as people think they do. A hosepipe uses 900 litres an hour. That's at least 3 times what the garden needs.

You shouldn't be expecting the soil to be "moist" all the time, nor should you expect the soil surface to always be moist.
              The water needs to be under the ground, not on the surface where it just evaporates. I water into strategically placed flower pots sunk in the soil (ie near the thirstier veg), I never wet the surface. Wetting the surface makes plants grow their roots nearer to the surface, which means they dry out quicker.

Deep watering makes the plants put their roots down deep to search for ground water, and they do find it. Isn't it surprising how weeds manage to grow even when they're never watered? There is water down there even though we can't see it.
              Last edited by Two_Sheds; 21-06-2013, 07:39 AM.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X